+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Folder Redirection Permissions in Technical; We're looking to move to Windows 7 this year and with that move gives us the opportunity to change how ...

Thank Post

Folder Redirection Permissions

We're looking to move to Windows 7 this year and with that move gives us the opportunity to change how we currently have things setup at the moment.

Currently we have four shares for storing UserData.

\\servername\StaffWork$\
    \\servername\StaffProfile$\
    \\servername\StudentWork$\
    \\servername\StudentProfile$\

Users have Profile path and HomeDrive (mapped to N added in their AD Account pointing to the relevant Share, for example \\servername\StaffWork$\UserName\.
    We do not redirect any other Folders and User Folders are created manually or with scripts.

Windows 7 gives us the chance to change this to give ourselves more control over UserData.

I found the following link in the How-To Forum which works perfectly > Best Practice: Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection (a.k.a. User State Virtualization)

We've created new shares and plan to consolidate the four we have into just two.

\\servername\UserData-Staff$\
    \\servername\UserData-Student$\

Ideally we want the contents of each user folder to look like this.

\\servername\UserData-Staff$\UserA\Desktop
    \\servername\UserData-Staff$\UserA\Documents
    \\servername\UserData-Staff$\UserA\Favourites
    \\servername\UserData-Staff$\UserA\Profile

Using the GPO's, each user will get their folders created when they first log into a workstation.
    This works perfectly...however, there's a catch.

For our existing users, we'd like to move some of the old data from the Old Shares into the New ones.

For example, we'd like to move UserA's old N Drive/HomePath into the new structure, so \\servername\StaffWork$\UserA copied into \\servername\UserData-Staff$\UserA\Documents

If I do this, the user doesn't have access to the files. Whoever copies the files into the folder is the CREATOR OWNER and not the User.
    Permissions can be added and tweaked, but it's a manual fudge and kind of defeats the object.

Has anyone resolved this? It seems such a elegant solution it would be a shame to not use it.

Thank Post
    I'd avoid putting the profiles in the same structure as you'll want to disable offline files on the profile share...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I'd avoid putting the profiles in the same structure as you'll want to disable offline files on the profile share...
    I had initially thought to do that, however the link I followed suggested that it's optional and only needed if you're still using Windows XP.
    They configure the Profile to be within the same structure.
    Best Practice: Roaming Profiles and Folder Redirection (a.k.a. User State Virtualization)
    (Optional) Setting up Roaming Profile Folder
    If you are still using Windows XP then I would recommend configuring the roaming profile folder is the same as the Users folder for the redirected folders except that you need to disable file caching. Simple repeat the steps above for “Setting up file server share for User State Virtualization” instead use the folder name called “Profiles” and a share name called “Profiles$”.

After you configure the share permissions (see step 13 above) also click on the “Caching” button and select the “No Files or programs from the share folder are available offline” options then press OK then OK then Close.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread