+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Group Policies in Technical; Hi I work at a primary school as tech support, they have a Windows 2003 server. I have built a ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 Group Policies

Hi

I work at a primary school as tech support, they have a Windows 2003 server. I have built a windows 7 machine but it won't let the pupils log on when it's in the pupil group in AD, it looks like it's a Group Policy issue and I was wondering if any one knew of somewhere I can get some advice on GPO's. The school runs a workstation profile for the students and a internet URL policy and these seem to be the 2 that are causing issues. The laptop will log on with a tempoary profile when not trying to run the GPO's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    you'd have to look at the error logs on the client PC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Use gpresult at the command line to get a list of all policies the machine sees. Use rsop.msc to view errors in policy application and to determine what settings are being applied.

Thank Post
    Hi are you using roaming or mandatory profiles? it sounds similar to an error you get if when using roaming profiles the user does not have a .v2 profile.

Thank Post
    Hi

Please can you do the following.

Make sure time/date and time zone are correct.

Knock the computer off the domain and put it back on the do a gpupdate /force /boot

Try a rsop.msc and see what errors it come up with,

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleoakley View Post
    Hi

I work at a primary school as tech support, they have a Windows 2003 server. I have built a windows 7 machine but it won't let the pupils log on when it's in the pupil group in AD, it looks like it's a Group Policy issue and I was wondering if any one knew of somewhere I can get some advice on GPO's. The school runs a workstation profile for the students and a internet URL policy and these seem to be the 2 that are causing issues. The laptop will log on with a tempoary profile when not trying to run the GPO's.

Any help would be appreciated.
    You'll need to install RSAT on Windows 7 and this will allow you to view/set GPOs for Windows 7. There are a lot more than there are XP GPOs.

2003 can process ADM and ADMX files, but you can only set ADMX settings for Windows 7, from Windows 7 with RSAT without a 2008 R2 server.

Is there any custom software installed on the server - RM, Ranger or similar. It's not something I've come across before. I presume you can logon locally, run ipconfig /all from a command prompt and make sure DNS and DHCP look correct.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advice, I'm there today so will have a go and see what happens.

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Hiya

I had a look at everything and installed RSAT on the laptop but think it may now be a profile issue as when I log on as an Admin and check the users the pupil user names are in there, when I delete them and log off and on again they reappear. I've checked the registry and followed the instructions to adjust some of the settings but it still won't logon as the pupils, I get a user profile error. I am going to try a rebuild next week from scratch unless any one has any other ideas.

Many thanks

Thank Post
    How exactly are you deleting the user accounts on the system? In the XP days, you could just go into Documents and Settings and manually delete a profile folder and now have any problem. But in 7, you need to actually remove the profile from the System Properties window (Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings > User Profiles), otherwise, even though the user profile will be removed, the registry entry for the user profile will still be on the system. Therefore, when you log in, you get a temporary profile every time you try and log in with that account. To actually remove it (after manually deleting the user profile folder), you have to delete the registry key at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. You should see some keys under there that will mention the users local path under the ProfileImagePath setting. Just delete that entire key and try logging on as the user again to see if does anything for you.

Hope that helps some...

10. Thanks to scottpowers82 from:

cookie_monsta (28th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Very good thread Scottpowers!!!

Thank Post
    Hey, just glad it helped someone out

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread