+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Problems with Windows XP / 7 GPOs & WMI Filters in Technical; Hi All, I'm new to the forum although have been lurking for a bit! We are currently planning and testing ...

Thank Post

Problems with Windows XP / 7 GPOs & WMI Filters

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum although have been lurking for a bit!

We are currently planning and testing our Windows 7 deployment for the summer. Rather than inherit our existing GPOs, I'd like to start afresh in order to eliminate all the redundant settings in there...some going back to Windows 2000!

So, I have created two new WMI filters, as follows...

Windows 7 - select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "6.1%"
    Windows XP - select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "5.1%"

I have assigned the XP WMI filter to our existing user GPOs, and then created new Windows 7 user GPOs and assigned the Windows 7 WMI filter.

I have tested these and my Windows 7 test machines work fine - they pick up the settings from the new Windows 7 GPOs, and ignore everything in the XP ones.

However, many of our Windows XP machines are not working! They are ignoring all user GPO settings, only applying computer GPOs (which I've left unfiltered as WinXP and Win7 machines will live in different OUs).

Errors reported in the Application Log are

1090 - Userenv - Windows couldn't log the RSoP session status. An attempt to connect to WMI failed.
    1104 - Userenv - Windows cannot perform filter check for Group Policy object cn={GUID}. The associated filter cannot be found. This Group Policy Object will be skipped.

What is odd is that some of the XP machines are fine. Even within the same room - all machines on the same image - some work and some don't.

I've checked the WMI service and it is running. I've researched those errors - two main solutions are a hotfix from MS which applies to XP SP2 and single label DNS domain (we are on XP SP3 which includes the hotfix, and our domain ISN'T a single label) and a fix which requires rebuilding the WMI repository on each affected workstation. I'm not convinced this will work, but will try it later on one machine.

Has anyone else had these same issues that may be able to shed some light? We are running Windows Server 2003 on both of our DCs.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Try this for the Windows XP one, I had a few MSI issues with XP and this WMI worked.

Code:
    select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "5.1%" and ProductType = "1"

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply! I have tried this one already, I've also tried

Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Caption = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

However all give the same result. They work fine on some machines, and not others. It's very strange since the machines are on the same image. It's as if they are refusing to process any filter, for whatever reason?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as WMI is concerned its a gap in my knowledge im sure someone else could help

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread