+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, IE9 and e-Portal in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael It is getting a little silly though - you must be using IE8 and must be ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It is getting a little silly though - you must be using IE8 and must be using Adobe Reader 9.
    Tell me about it - lol
    I had acrobat reader 10.1.1 deployed site wide and had to make a new package for 9.5 its like talking to a brick wall when you call them and tell them the problem is their end and they need to fix it...

At least they are saying IE8 is ok these days but if I was on W7 and couldnt use IE9 I wouldnt be a happy bunny; I remember having a conversation with them once and they said I should be using IE6...

Its the HR Portal and another one the bursar uses that cause the problems.

Just luck so far that an app / site hasnt needed the current version to run correctly because I dont know what we are supposed to do then.
    You can see it coming cant you e.g. HR portal needs old obsolete version and progresso needs the current version...

Thank Post
    I've not heard or been given that advice before. Is it really that necessary to do it so frequently?

I'll wait for Link2ICT's feedback and see if they're any wiser as to why this is happening and post back here.
    Try using Firefox... works beautifully with windows 7 zimbra and eportal, and I'd recommend the daily reset restart cured about 90% of eportals niggles over night.

3. Thanks to DocHouse from:

Michael (1st March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 956 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ridpool_John View Post
    Try using Firefox... works beautifully with windows 7 zimbra and eportal, and I'd recommend the daily reset restart cured about 90% of eportals niggles over night.
    what about google chrome?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    what about google chrome?
    Tried it on two new windows 7 laptops and it didn't like zimbra in advanced mode but worked fine in mobile or standard, not sure if it works with briefing or hr portal though, Firefox definately does.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've created a schedule which will restart both Facility and e-Portal services at 5am. I'll report back in the next few days and see whether or not it has worked.

This is the easiest tweak to try first and I'll look at other options if I have to. Link2ICT haven't come back with anything to try 'yet'.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    At least they are saying IE8 is ok these days but if I was on W7 and couldnt use IE9 I wouldnt be a happy bunny; I remember having a conversation with them once and they said I should be using IE6...
    And I'd put money on it, that come the end of 2012, Windows 8 will be released and it'll come with IE10 pre-installed.

As for IE6 it is still unbelievably supported by Microsoft, but they just encourage you to use IE8 (if you're on XP). I had a look at an in-house council laptop recently and it was still running IE6. I just find it so ironic that one minute we have to be super secure behind proxies and firewalls, but we'll still use IE6. There's no logic to this and I dispute the old argument it's down to compatibility. Developers are well aware of Microsoft's browser development schedule.

Thank Post
    Initial feedback - extremely good. One problem still at one site and none at the other for morning registers.

Will be interesting to see how this afternoon turns out.

Thank Post
    This afternoon, zero problems reported at both sites. It is strange how a simple fix can make all the difference!

Thank Post
    And I'd put money on it, that come the end of 2012, Windows 8 will be released and it'll come with IE10 pre-installed.
    Ive just installed the W8 Consumer Preview and it does indeed have IE10 preinstalled...

10. 2 Thanks to ToyHeartsFan:

eduabncs (6th March 2012), Michael (1st March 2012)

Thank Post
    Maybe worth mentioning this to the HR Portal team. Adobe Reader 11 will probably be out by Q4 2012 too. Let the games begin!

12. Thanks to Michael from:

ToyHeartsFan (2nd March 2012)

Thank Post
    Maybe worth mentioning this to the HR Portal team. Adobe Reader 11 will probably be out by Q4 2012 too. Let the games begin!
    W8, IE10 and Adobe Reader 11 it appears the mere thought of it has caused the HR portal to have a breakdown today – lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12