+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Deploy shared printer to Windows 7 Workstations in Technical; Morning Guys, I am attempting to deploy a shared printer which sits on a 2003 Server, its actually a virtual ...
    Thank Post

Question Deploy shared printer to Windows 7 Workstations

Morning Guys,

I am attempting to deploy a shared printer which sits on a 2003 Server, its actually a virtual print queue which works with our MFDs.

I have deployed the printer to our XP workstations using a vbscript, which has been working well for the last 2 years. We have now started migrating over to Windows 7 pro, I have deployed the printer to them via Group policy using User Configuration>Preferences>Control Panel Settings>Printers, it works to the point of installing the driver etc but when you print something it just says the document is printing/spooling in the queue. Also when attempting to access the printer settings you get not responding .

Something very odd happening, can anyone help?

Thanks

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Have you upgraded the printer driver? If it's a few years old it may not properly support Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Have you upgraded the printer driver? If it's a few years old it may not properly support Windows 7.
    Thanks for the reply,

I have upgraded to the latest Windows 7 driver, which is now causing me problems on my XP clients grrrrr!!!

Thanks

Paul

Thank Post
    As your using 2003 server this may not e revelent but may point you in the right direction
    first please note my first comment here Windows 7 Slow Initial Logon from Cold Boot, Fast Second Logon
    now with 2008 r2 you have to install all your drivers for that printer.
    So when your setting up your printers on a 2008 r2 sever you add under print mangment > print servers > *server* > drivers
    the driver for xp, vista, windows 7 and x64 bit drivers. This then allows the OS to pick up the right driver for that printer.
    see if you can fire up a virtual 2008 r2 server and test (if you can)
    printers.png

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottLogan View Post
    As your using 2003 server this may not e revelent but may point you in the right direction
    first please note my first comment here Windows 7 Slow Initial Logon from Cold Boot, Fast Second Logon
    now with 2008 r2 you have to install all your drivers for that printer.
    So when your setting up your printers on a 2008 r2 sever you add under print mangment > print servers > *server* > drivers
    the driver for xp, vista, windows 7 and x64 bit drivers. This then allows the OS to pick up the right driver for that printer.
    see if you can fire up a virtual 2008 r2 server and test (if you can)
    printers.png
    Thanks for the reply, I've tried doing this via a windows 7 workstation. Added the windows 7 driver which appear to overwrite the xp one, it didn't make any difference either. Have now reverted back to the original driver but no change.

My XP workstations are now playing up, when I installed the new driver it messed up the printing preferences, even though I have changed them on the server the XP workstations aren't picking them up.

Don't you just love IT!!

THanks

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread