+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, File Access Denied in Technical; Got a weird problem here that I need to fix. We have had a laptop in for updates etc and ...

Thank Post

File Access Denied

Got a weird problem here that I need to fix. We have had a laptop in for updates etc and all was working well (apparently) but we've just had the laptop back because the member of staff couldn't access her local files. Now the wierd thing is that it seems to be a permissions thing. All the files stored locally seem to have lost the permissions and I cant force the permissions back to an admin user. Under the Owner tab it shows as Unable to display current Owner.

I've tried through the GUI and through the command line takeown, but still get an error message that access is Denied. How can I reset the permissions as it seems to be on all the files on the laptop now. We have recently installed Safend Encryption on it, but we haven't had this problem on any other machine.

Just checking now there seems to be an issue with all the default files also as I cant navigate to the default libraries to check the sample music/pictures. I'm just going to try and change the permissions in Safe Mode next.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    At the bottom of the Owner tab, there should be a box you can untick. You can then add an administrator account and take ownership of the files and folders.

After this you can add permissions just as you would normally.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    At the bottom of the Owner tab, there should be a box you can untick. You can then add an administrator account and take ownership of the files and folders.

After this you can add permissions just as you would normally.
    Nope, no box at all. I'm just unencrypting the laptop to see if it caused something to go pear shaped, but I've also noticed utorrent installed on the laptop and spoken to the staff member who has just told me her husband installed it and downloaded things but she didn't know what. Which causes me to think that it might be something else entirely.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread