+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Reinstall windows 7 Starter in Technical; I've been handed a netbook running Windows 7 Starter from my nephew who has complained that it's running slow (it's ...

Thank Post

Reinstall windows 7 Starter

I've been handed a netbook running Windows 7 Starter from my nephew who has complained that it's running slow (it's about 18 months old) and although he has used the restore option, it still has all the added software from the shop he had it from. My idea was to do a clean install and then create a restore image which he can use should he have any problems in the future, but there is no disk with it (or disk drive). The licence key is stuck on the bottom so I can use the key, but how do I get a copy of windows 7 Starter, and can I install it from a USB?

I've read that if you install with the key it will install the corresponding version, but I'm not so sure. I've also found this here and have an existing ISO so could I follow the instructions in this article and has anyone done this?

Thank Post
    Thats the only way to get starter edition without using the recovery partition

3. Thanks to markcuk from:

penfold (20th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markcuk View Post
    Thats the only way to get starter edition without using the recovery partition
    So if I do that and use the correct Key attached to the laptop I should be able to get a fresh Starter install without all the bundled software?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    So if I do that and use the correct Key attached to the laptop I should be able to get a fresh Starter install without all the bundled software?

Thanks
    Yes just use the key attached to the laptop but make sure you have the oem version of windows

Thank Post
    I've also found this here and have an existing ISO so could I follow the instructions in this article
    Yes, although I cheated and simply bought Windows 7 Starter install media from eBay.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markcuk View Post
    Yes just use the key attached to the laptop but make sure you have the oem version of windows
    Ah right, so now my problem comes from getting an OEM ISO image

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Yes, although I cheated and simply bought Windows 7 Starter install media from eBay.
    I dont really want to spend any money at all if I can help it. He might have to have the image installed left on as it's starting to sound like it's not worth the hassle!!

I did consider sticking ubuntu (or similar) on it but then I thought I'd just get too many issues coming back to me for why it looks different to MS

Thank Post
    erm if you have a normal win7 x86 dvd/iso image use that to make a bootable pen drive. Go to the sources folder and find a file named ei.cfg now your "pro" media will allow you to select waht version of windows you want to install they are all on there from started to ultimate (except enterprise)

10. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    erm if you have a normal win7 x86 dvd/iso image use that to make a bootable pen drive. Go to the sources folder and find a file named ei.cfg now your "pro" media will allow you to select waht version of windows you want to install they are all on there from started to ultimate (except enterprise)
    That was what the link said from the original post. Just wanted to check someone has done this before I go and try. Whatever I try, I'll take a backup of the image on the hard drive already so I have something to go back to if it goes wrong. I'll try taking a look this evening/tomorrow and see how I get on.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Just wanted to check someone has done this before I go and try.
    It has worked every single time I have done it. I normally use the ei.cfg Removal Utility since this deletes the ei.cfg file without having to recreate the ISO.

can I install it from a USB?
    Yes.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread