+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 Default Home Folder and Folder Redirection Conflict in Technical; On a Win 2008 R2 Domain I have yet another problem and the solution creates another problem. When you redirect ...

Thank Post

Win 7 Default Home Folder and Folder Redirection Conflict

On a Win 2008 R2 Domain I have yet another problem and the solution creates another problem.

When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents describes:

When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents. You expect the folder name to be the user name.

The solution is:

Under User Configuration, expand Windows Settings, and then expand Folder Redirection.
    Right-click the Documents folder, and then click Properties.
    On the Target tab, configure the following:

In the Setting box, click Basic—redirect everyone’s folder to the same location.
    In the Target Folder Location box, click Create a folder for each user under the root path.
    In the Root Path box, type the UNC file path to which you want to redirect the Documents folder.

In the Documents Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then configure the following:

Click to select the Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents check box.
    Click to select the Move the contents of Documents to the new location check box.

However when the Document settings are configured with the "Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents" ticked, when a user logs on to a Windows 7 machine and opens Word, creates a document and goes to "Save As", The default Save folder is shown as "Username\My Documents" which is a local folder on drive C. I do not want users to be able to save here, and want them to save to the Network N:\ drive.

When I remove the tick from: "Grant the user exclusive rights to Documents", log on, load word, create a document and go to "Save As" the default save location shows as the users home drive "N:\", however doing this renames the users home folder on the server to "My Documents" which is not ideal.

Going back to: When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents I tried Method 3 but it did not work, and am not sure how to implement Method 1 without making things more complex for the users.

I also found this post here: Controlling Libraries with Group Policy and have implemented this although for what ever reason the changes have not worked and the Public folder is not being deleted, as well as still being able to save files to the root of the user share (%userdomain%\%username%).

I also followed: Controlling Libraries with Group Policy but again the folder is not being deleted.

Any help on this one would be more than appreciated. What have other people done to get around this problem?

Thank Post
    Just wondering if this is also something related to Windows Libraries settings?

I wanted to remove Windows Libraries to prevent users saving to the local computer, so did this using the reg file at: Controlling Libraries with Group Policy

However before I deleted this I noticed Documents under Libraries set the default folder as C:\Users\<username>\documents and am wondering if this might be something to do with the problem (even though I deleted it using the Reg key).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are lots of threads about this on here. It is like this by design. It is caused by the desktop.ini file. Whatever you do dont block this file. You will get slow logons. Method 1 on the Microsoft link is the best way to "fix" it.

Thank Post
    It looks like Method 1 might be the Only way to fix it with out causing the other problem I mentioned, where it then defaults to local folders rather than the redirected documents folder. I had a look for other threads which specifically mention the problem that occurs when I implement method 2, but could not find any making me wonder if anyone had this problem occur as a result of this fix and if someone had found a way around it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    There are lots of threads about this on here. It is like this by design. It is caused by the desktop.ini file. Whatever you do dont block this file. You will get slow logons. Method 1 on the Microsoft link is the best way to "fix" it.
    Can you not just delete these though? I thought that worked..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Is this what can make the logon stick on "Applying folder redirection"?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    Deleting the desktop.ini file will rectify and will rename the document folder as the owner, had the same problem early on with some user folders just called My Documents but once I had deleted the desktop.ini files it sorted it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Is this what can make the logon stick on "Applying folder redirection"?
    Yep thats exactly what happens

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Can you not just delete these though? I thought that worked..
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Deleting the desktop.ini file will rectify and will rename the document folder as the owner, had the same problem early on with some user folders just called My Documents but once I had deleted the desktop.ini files it sorted it.
    But its not a fix, its just a work around. The desktop.ini will just recreate itself.

9. Thanks to FN-GM from:

morganw (19th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Ah ok - just checking it didn't break things! I've got a script which runs every.2 hours and deletes desktop.ini files

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Certain GPOs can slow down logon too, as I described here

Deleting the desktop.ini file is a waste of time, as it will just re-create itself. This is the method I use which involves no deleting or any scripts.

Unfotunately there's no method to deploy this by GPO. If anyone finds a way however, please post it here!

Thank Post
    Ive been reading a lot about this, and it occurred to me the best option would probably be for the desktop.ini file to be deleted at log off.

A quick search and I found this log off script:
    Redirected My Documents folders showing as ‘Documents’ rather than the users name « Weird & Wonderful IT

And it works... As long as users log off correctly!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreS View Post
    Ive been reading a lot about this, and it occurred to me the best option would probably be for the desktop.ini file to be deleted at log off.

A quick search and I found this log off script:
    Redirected My Documents folders showing as ‘Documents’ rather than the users name « Weird & Wonderful IT

And it works... As long as users log off correctly!
    If you insist in deleting the .ini file you will get better results running the delete script from the server so if they dont log off properly you dont get the issue.

Thank Post
    Am I right in thinking that this is only a problem if you have the "Documents" folder as the root directory e.g.

\\server\home\%username% is the folder that becomes "Documents" (then Pictures etc underneath in subfolders aka "follow the root folder")

as opposed to

\\server\home\%username%\Documents
    \\server\home\%username%\Pictures
    \\server\home\%username%\Videos
    etc

Judging by the MS link that seems to be the best method (and looks nice and neat)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread