+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Classic Shell. Anyone use it or anything like it? in Technical; While researching today I found this: Welcome to Classic Shell It looks good, but not too network friendly as it ...

Thank Post

Classic Shell. Anyone use it or anything like it?

While researching today I found this:
    Welcome to Classic Shell

It looks good, but not too network friendly as it seems each user has their own settings and some of which (such as its own settings program appearing in settings in the start menu) can't be controlled by GPO.

Is anyone using this or anything like it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would anyone want to do it? We cant live in the past. People need to get used to the new start menu as the classic one will be gone one day. Why keep giving an experience to students in school that wont be the same at home and when they work? Its time to move on....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We can't live in the past. It's time to move on...
    ++. I could understand people wanting to use the old Start Menu if it was better than what we have now in Windows 7, but it's not...

Thank Post
    I use it a lot, it's the only reason i am happy to have 7 on my home laptop, yes i'm a dinosaur, no i don't agree with it's use in a school environment...

I have a way of working that I like, and when i use a standard windows 7 setup i just end up searching for programs because it's quicker. I hate programs pinned to the task bar, i hate multiple windows under the same icon (have done since XP introduced the feature) I hate the large icons, i hate the thickness of the taskbar, i hate the greyness of the system tray icons, i hate libraries. Basically i hate vista and win7 and i go to enormous lengths to make my pc at home work the way I want, which is basically by making it behave like XP. I don't feel the gui is improving, i feel its getting clunky and awkward.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Why would anyone want to do it? We cant live in the past. People need to get used to the new start menu as the classic one will be gone one day. Why keep giving an experience to students in school that wont be the same at home and when they work? Its time to move on....
    Because MS keep pi55ing around moving and changing various aspects of the OS which is annoying. It would be ok if they gave you the option but don't.

Thank Post
    I like the way seven combines the quicklaunch bar with open windows. I too hate the way xp grouped open windows - but then i hate having more windows open than is necessary. I can put up with the huge square icons but only because I have a large resolution that makes them look the same size as xp's taskbar.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It was/is very tempting to stick with the classic Start Menu, but keeping the interface as familiar as possible at school/work/home is important. The chances are most people are probably using the new Start Menu in XP and standard setups in Vista and 7.

You could argue it's even more of an issue with Office 2010. You'll always get people who are unhappy, as they've been using Office 2000/XP/2003 for the past 10 years.

Weeks/months on staff and pupils do learn to adapt and then they understand and embrace the enhancements.

Thank Post
    When you are working in Primary Schools with mixed XP and Win 7 systems, where some of the children can't even speak English or spell their name, using something easier like the Classic Start Menu on Win 7 systems would be advantageous.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreS View Post
    When you are working in Primary Schools with mixed XP and Win 7 systems, where some of the children can't even speak English or spell their name, using something easier like the Classic Start Menu on Win 7 systems would be advantageous.
    Use the Windows XP start menu. Its near enough the same as the Standard 7 one. In the long run you are not helping student.

Thank Post
    *BUMP*

I've had a play with this too. Looks great but I can't figure out a way to apply the configuration to all users.

Has anyone got a solution?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    thanks to the bump and the 8 month interval that has come true, the classic/dinosaur menu and the newer one is gone too in 8 which we already have pushed out to a few stations.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bandgeekmafia78 View Post
    *BUMP*

I've had a play with this too. Looks great but I can't figure out a way to apply the configuration to all users.

Has anyone got a solution?
    We use it here on all the Win7 PC's, it made the migration from XP to Win7 much easier while we ran a mixed environment, same look and feel regardless of the PC you login. So popular we kept it

As all staff and student's have the same locked down settings, I just configured it in the basic image build and rolled it out from them. Most of the settings are in the HKCU settings or you can import a .xml file. It's also very happy with redirected start menus but for best performance make sure both "Pre-cache icons" and "Delay loading of icons" are OFF.

I agree with the comments about moving forwards, but sometimes forwards doesn't always mean teachers can just login and go in front of a class of 30...

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get the effort to harm the students learning by making a custom aged system that is different to everything that they are likely to use. It's like forcing the use of horses and carriages for learning how to drive just because the driving instructor cant be bothered to do what they tell students to do all day long, LEARN. It is an odd thing that teachers who supposedly go on about lifelong learning generally refuse to learn certain things themselves, the hypocrisy is stunning.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

FN-GM (8th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They managed just fine here, never had anyone complain....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to have this exact mindset when XP was the primary OS being deployed. I would turn everything back to classic and make it look as close to Win2k as I could. With Windows 7 I left the entire interface stock with the exception of cleaning up useless icons in the Start Menu and setting the system tray to not hide anything. There wasn't a single complaint regarding the interface in Windows, just Office. The new Start Menu grew on me in short order and now I don't know why I stuck with the classic one for so long; I mean, it's just abysmal to work with. Even the ribbon interface grew on me!

Now, as far as Windows 8 goes, well, I don't think I'm that adept to change.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast