+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Software Deployment through Group Policy Error for Windows 7 in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Post Software Deployment through Group Policy Error for Windows 7

Please help me as I’m ripping my hair out and I haven’t got a lot of that left!

I’m using Group Policy to deploy and install software that worked fine for Windows XP but seems to fail for Windows 7.

I created a base image for Windows 7 and used Ghost to deploy that image to 10 PC’s. Group policy should then deploy software to those PC’s which it did on 7 out of the 10. I used “rosop.msc” to check if the policy had applied and on the 3 PC’s that didn’t install, I see an orange triangle with an exclamation mark next to all the software items.

I’ve enabled “Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon” and “Verbose vs normal status message” to check if they install but it still doesn’t work.

I’ve changed “User Account Control: Behaviour of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin approval Mode” to Elevate without prompting. I’ve disabled “Detect application installations ad prompt for elevation” and “Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode”.

I’ve enabled “Allow processing across a slow network connection” and “Amount of time to wait” = 30 seconds.

The permissions of the delivery folder have access for System, Domain Computers, Domain Users, Authenticated Users and the PC’s can see the network path correctly.
    I disabled PXE from BIOS to see if that made a difference.

I’ve restarted the PC’s lots of time and changed to a different switch in the data cab.

The error logs say “The assignment of application <Appname> from policy <policyname> failed. The error was : %%1274”

I don’t understand why it would work on most of the PC’s but not all. Do you think a switch reboot would help?

Somebody please help me. :-)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    have they all got their own sids or did you clone them without regenerating sids?
    have you tried on one that wont work limiting the nic speed to 10mb 1/2 duplex (ive had it before that pcs wouldnt deploy software as their nic haddnt properly negociated a link speed to the switch before they gave up policy processing solved permanantly by flashing the switch)
    what if anything does rsop.msc give you as errors?
    i assume these are applications assigned to a pc not user as iirc dont user installs only get that users permissions? (honestly cant remember as i cant think when i last did software that way)

Thank Post
    Thank you Fiza and Sted.

I looked at the link you posted and tried their suggestion of deleting the registry key which still didn’t work, so I reimaged the PC with a totally different computer name (thinking that because they had already been registered in AD with a previous XP image it may be conflicting).

The link mentioned that existing GPO’s may be conflicting but I thought that couldn’t be the case because I created a test OU.

I originally thought it was the link speed so I’ve slowed the ports down to 100mb duplex but will try 10mb 1/2 duplex to see if that helps.

….however I think I have solved it :-) after reimaging the PC for the third time I uninstalled Macromedia Studio 8 that I had installed to the base image and believe it or not, it now works!

I’m going to investigate further with one of the other PC’s that didn’t work.

Thanks once again for your help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    If this is what I think it is, its because those machines affected are trying to to a background group policy refresh. GPO software installation only occurs for on a synchronous foreground refresh.

Normally the workstation will then force itself to do a foreground refresh on the next reboot. If that's not happening, that's unusual. Test it by issued a gpupdate /target:computer /sync /boot command and see if the install goes through.

Thank Post
    Thanks all for your help.

I think It was a combination of a lot of things going wrong at the same time.

I found the following helped

Restarting the switch

Deleting the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Group Policy then gpupdate \force

In a admin console gpupdate /target:computer /sync /boot

Very strange!
    Last edited by Outlaw; 8th February 2012 at 09:40 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread