+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, folder redirection issue in Technical; I'm deploying Windows 7 to some of our desktops this year and I've just ran into an issue I can't ...
    Thank Post

folder redirection issue

I'm deploying Windows 7 to some of our desktops this year and I've just ran into an issue I can't seem to squash regarding document redirection.

Instead of having their documents redirected to their user folder it receives a temp profile and defaults back to the local docs location. I worked around this with our netbooks by having the folder redirect to the home folder drive letter but the desktops refuse to cooperate.

Any suggestions on whats the best practice for win7 machines?

FYI, student accounts share a common profile but map their home folders back to the server (\\server\students\year\username). I'm guessing that the desktops media card readers are getting assigned the H: drive letter causing the netbook solution to fail. except for reassigning the drive letter for everyone's home folder i'm just not sure what else to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It's something I've come across myself. If you navigate to Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, you can see which drive letters are used up.

Changing mapped drive letters and the home drive letter is one option. Another option is to disable the onboard card readers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try removing local copy of the profile (using the computer property window) and remove the network copy of the roaming profile too.

Reboot and try again.

If there is no improvement try this:
    The Folder Redirection policy does not work if a previous user sets a redirected folder to an offline mode in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's something I've come across myself. If you navigate to Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, you can see which drive letters are used up.

Changing mapped drive letters and the home drive letter is one option. Another option is to disable the onboard card readers.
    I've checked this morning and the media card readers are taking up a number of drive letters, however students do use these for a number of classes so disabling the reader isn't the best choice. I did a test on one user and remapping the documents to another letter like 'X' appears to work. I'll just have to do it for every user. :\

Thank Post
    interestingly enough, i've found that the docs are being redirected but because of a corrupt mandatory profile the weren't working 100%. thanks to the mandatory profiles from this post i was able to correct that and students can login now. unfortunately, now my start menu and desktop still aren't being redirected. it looks like the desktop is redirecting to the student GPO folder for win XP even though i've tried multiple ways to redirect to a win 7 desktop. and my start menu is completely empty for students.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread