+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Remote install of drivers? in Technical; Got a bunch of PCs that need the audio driver updated, i was hoping devcon might work but every time ...
    Thank Post

Remote install of drivers?

Got a bunch of PCs that need the audio driver updated, i was hoping devcon might work but every time i try "devcon /r update "C:\Driverfilelocation\driverfile.inf" HDAUDIO*" it just says "update failed"

These drivers aren't digitally signed so could that be causing the problem? Anyone know of any other good methods for installing the audio drivers on multiple PCs at once?

Code:
    devcon updateni C:\Audio\HDA.inf HDAUDIO*
    updating drivers for HDAUDIO* from C:\Audio\HDA.inf.
    devcon failed
    Tried both update and updateni

EDIT: Damnit just found in the documentation "unsigned installs will fail" time to find a better driver :<

EDIT: ok it seems even in this day realtek don't have a digitally signed driver on their website, can anyone point me to a realtek high definition audio driver that is digitally signed? (32bit)
    Last edited by mrbios; 25th January 2012 at 09:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    quote :

devcon update mydev.inf *pnp0501

Updates all devices that exactly match the hardware ID *pnp0501 to use the best driver in Mydev.inf that is associated with the hardware ID *pnp0501.

Note This update forces all devices to use the driver in Mydev.inf, even if there is a better match already on the system. This is useful when you want to install new versions of drivers during development before you obtain a signature. The update affects only the devices that match the specified hardware ID, and does not affect the child devices. If the specified .inf file is unsigned, Windows may display a dialog box that prompts you to confirm whether the driver should be installed. If a restart is required, this is reported and DevCon returns a level 1 error. If you specify -r, this causes a restart to occur automatically if one is required.
    Notes

• DevCon will return an error level for use in scripts: "0" indicates a success.
      "1" indicates that a restart is required.
      "2" indicates a failure.
      "3" indicates a syntax error.
    • If you specify -r and a restart is required, the restart occurs without warning after all devices have been processed.
    • If you specify -m:\\computer and the command will not work for a remote computer, an error is reported.
    • DevCon allows wildcards in instance IDs for interactive convenience. Do not assume anything about the format of an instance ID from computer to computer and from operating system version to operating system version.
    site : The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager

Maybe place the driver in a directory on a server that all machines can access the driver in the sysvol folder with the relevant permissions on said directory ??

Will need to find the hardware id of the audio device

Is this for xp or win 7 and is it 32 or 64 bit ?

dpinst.exe as part of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544838(v=vs.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

I did find this : http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic127187.html

not sure how much use this will be
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 25th January 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Windows 7, hence being in the windows 7 section and it's 32bit

I'm trying it locally, and "HDAUDIO*" finds only one hardware ID (a i understand it from the technet page, this should work without entering the full hardware ID)

Can't find a digitally signed realtek audio driver anywhere, tried all sorts of different version dating all the way back to early vista, i've emailed realtek now to see if they can help, though it looks like i may be stuck doing it manually.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Windows 7, hence being in the windows 7 section and it's 32bit

I'm trying it locally, and "HDAUDIO*" finds only one hardware ID (a i understand it from the technet page, this should work without entering the full hardware ID)

Can't find a digitally signed realtek audio driver anywhere, tried all sorts of different version dating all the way back to early vista, i've emailed realtek now to see if they can help, though it looks like i may be stuck doing it manually.
    on the example you showed you have the wild card ( * ) at the end where as on the example it shows the wild card at the start ie :

devcon update c:\PathTo\Drivers\mydev.inf *HDAUDIO

Not sure if that makes any difference as you stated devcon does not allow for non digitally signed drivers to be installed although I was going to state that windows xp has a GPO to disable the installation of non digitally signed drivers but that is of no use to you as you are trying to do this on windows 7.

The last link I posted goes through doing this on windows 7 so may be of more use to you

Thank Post
    I think the reason the wildcard is at the start on theirs is due to the device they're installing having varied characters at the start, for the device i'm installing it always starts as "HDAUDIO\enterlotsofcraphere" if i do "devcon hwids HDAUDIO*" it works and displays the correct ID for the device i'm after.

I've emailed realtek to see if i can get anything out of them, but god knows how long it'll take them to reply so i might just run around doing it manually after school

6. Thanks to mrbios from:

mac_shinobi (25th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    I think the reason the wildcard is at the start on theirs is due to the device they're installing having varied characters at the start, for the device i'm installing it always starts as "HDAUDIO\enterlotsofcraphere" if i do "devcon hwids HDAUDIO*" it works and displays the correct ID for the device i'm after.

I've emailed realtek to see if i can get anything out of them, but god knows how long it'll take them to reply so i might just run around doing it manually after school
    Can't you use DPinst.exe and do it as a fresh driver install which should hopefully over write everything that is currently there but using the latest driver as per your inf file and all the other files, .sys etc ??

Long shot but just what I would try anyway, not sure if you will come a cropper ref the drivers not being signed.

8. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

mrbios (25th January 2012)

Thank Post
    couldnt you just script out something like as a startup script should have no uac issues
    Code:
    if exist c:\sounddrv.txt goto _end
    \\server\share\realtekdrv.exe /s
    copy \\server\share\sounddrv.txt c:\sounddrv.txt /y

:_end

Thank Post
    Will have a look in to that, not used DPinst before, cheers

EDIT: never had any luck installing realtek drivers silently sted but i'll have a look anyway and see if it'll work (i imagine the problems i've had with this in the past are linked to them being unsigned too), cheers
    Last edited by mrbios; 25th January 2012 at 10:49 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread