+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, browsing network (while on wireless) in Technical; Greetings, Please can anyone explain to me why when a teachers laptop is on wireless it cannot see the network. ...

Thank Post

browsing network (while on wireless)

Greetings,

Please can anyone explain to me why when a teachers laptop is on wireless it cannot see the network. It will only show itself up and nothing else. I have no problem when hard-wired, only when using the laptop on wireless. I have tested using local admin and a sysadmin account and both have the same issue.

This i only discovered when netsupport refused to find clients despite there being hundreds active across the network. When running hardwired with the same accounts it found all of them. I have checked the ip configuration and nothing out of the ordinary shows up.

Thanks for any assistance.
    James

Thank Post
    Hello James.

Things I can think of...

Windows firewall. Turn it off and see if it does work with the firewall off. If it does is one of the services. Perhaps you wifi card is not picking the domain network settings.
    I also remember there is a service in the firewall called "Network Discovery"
    Shares and network resources should be seen ok. The other programs might need to be allowed in the laptop firewall or yo might need to open the ports for that software.

In XP I remember you could also pick the preferred network (I used to put the wireless first, so when they go home it does pick up their settings first) but I don't think it does apply to W7.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply labasque.

Windows firewall is disabled by gpo on our network. I tried your suggestion re "network discovery" which was turned off. Ive tried turning it on but after a couple of reboots still nothing.

Any further ideas welcome

Thank Post
    The other important thing.
    If you are using "n" Wifi access points do they work in the 2.4ghz or in the 5ghz signal range? The same for the laptops wifi cards....
    Cheers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread