+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Vista drivers on 7 machines in Technical; I'm testing Win7 deployment on some of our Stone machines at the moment but got a slight driver issue They're ...
    Thank Post

Vista drivers on 7 machines

I'm testing Win7 deployment on some of our Stone machines at the moment but got a slight driver issue

They're the BTX towers from circa 2007 (Core2Duo E6600) and running fine with warranty but having gone on the Intel site I get the lovely message that the board is discontinue (of course) and that Intel has no plans to release updated drivers for 7, which makes me

Forced obsolescence via software is something that really irritates me so want to keep these machines running... so far I've manually found drivers for...

- chipset, available on Intel's site (!)
    - network, available on Intel's site via the standard PRO1000 drivers
    - video, looks to be included within the Windows 7 installation and Aero was auto enabled working (demgmt shows it's an Intel driver )
    - audio, comes up in 7 as a generic HD Audio device but seems to work so might leave it at that as the only other option is an old 2007 Vista driver as the company who made the chip has disappeared
    - there's no specific Windows 7 files for the MEI controller but I'm able to set it to use the Vista driver and it picks up OK.

Looks like this might be as good as it can be for these machines unless anyone has found pure 7 drivers for everything?
    Last edited by gshaw; 23rd January 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I've found in some instances (on HP machines) it won't install the MEI driver by default. If you run Windows Update, it should detect the right driver.

If this works, then in theory you could find/download it and deploy via WSUS.

Thank Post
    Edit: the Windows HD Audio driver doesn't work with microphone plugged into the back port... bizarre

Trying these now...
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...=2372&lang=eng

Vista drivers installed but don't actually work by the looks of it

The MEI didn't pick up on Windows Update either unfortunately, looks like this is the official answer...
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-2f756e037035

Poor show from Intel, would expect better levels of support for boards that are meant to be sold for business PCs
    Last edited by gshaw; 23rd January 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    The standard included Intel graphics drivers in Windows 7 are often very old - by updating to the newest available (even with old things like the G965) you should get a decent improvement, especially in software which uses it and Aero.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    The standard included Intel graphics drivers in Windows 7 are often very old - by updating to the newest available (even with old things like the G965) you should get a decent improvement, especially in software which uses it and Aero.
    Judging by what I've found from Intel it seems Microsoft bundled the same version into the OS...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...adType=Drivers

The one from the base install is the same 8.15.10.1930. Usually I'd do exactly as you mentioned and never use the Microsoft bundled driver but seems Intel cut these boards' support quite early.

What I find silly is that when on the page for the DG965MS board Intel make out like there's no drivers available full stop, yet if you dig into each component of the board via the chipset you find 2/3 of what you need... maybe it's meant to be some kind of magical treasure hunt?!

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...adType=Drivers
    Last edited by gshaw; 23rd January 2012 at 11:47 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread