+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, MANDATORY PROFILE for students - Can anyone please share a "working" profile with me? in Technical; I don't think I can cope spending any more time working in our library win 7 machines working correctly with ...

Thank Post

MANDATORY PROFILE for students - Can anyone please share a "working" profile with me?

I don't think I can cope spending any more time working in our library win 7 machines working correctly with mandatory profiles!!!

As the profile is created off domain, i don't think there should be any issues using someone else's folder????? Am I wrong?

Each time I try I have failed. When I follow the guides students can login for a while then they randomly get a profile error not letting them log in at all!
    Profiles are not correctly removed (set to delete older than 3 days) they are left with half removed profiles mean they then create a new profile with username.domain then username.domain2 onwards!
    Would anyone please be as kind to send me a 100% working mandatory profile?? (preferably with the mail bloat removed?)

Students currently have nothing in their profile tab meaning they created one each time they log in..
    If anyone would be kind enough to share? I can then rule out the creation of the profile!

Many thanks in advance!

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    I'm too having this issue. I tried setting up mandatory profiles to start with after the Windows 7 deployment as some software needs to be opened as a admin user to create the correct profile files. Since removing the mandatory setting (due to certain software) when a student logs onto a machine where they have a mandatory profile they get the Profile Service error. If you delete their profile through registry then delete the users folder it cleared the profile completely then they could log in ok.

Don't really want to go to Roaming Profiles either, allthough if I could set it so doesn't store/cache the profile at all on the machine it could be a way forward.

A lot has changed in Windows 7 compared to Windows XP :-( .

Thank Post
    Hi,

We use Windows 7 with Mandatory profiles with Start Menu & Folder Redirection. Touch wood, we haven't had any problems at all but it did take me some time to crack it.

You must create your profile the MS way. I found other methods just didn't work or will give you problems down the line. Here is the link, How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

We use the Adobe Master Collection CS5 site wide and we had to write a script to give 'Domain Users' group permission to various directories otherwise various titles wont work.

Our profile size is 6.88MB. This is quite hefty but the Adobe CS5 and Music software takes up a fair bit of this.

Hope this helps.

4. Thanks to ronnoco from:

LoLoh (6th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks
    Will have another look through...

We are getting MASSIVE login times now and again, its when they login for the first time. We have no profile set so do you think the system having to create a new profile from scratch each time is causing this? Does a 7meg profile login really quickly ? (quickly would be under 20sec like XP does)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by burgemaster; 20th January 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Thank Post
    If you havent specified a mandatory or roaming profile then it will create a local profile if its the first time that user is logging into that computer.

We have a ~2.37MB super mandatory profile here and it doesnt login under 20 secs due to folder redirections and some computers arent the best spec.

Thank Post
    Sorry to be lazy, but would you be able to please share?
    Is there anything school/network specific within it? I dont think there is as it is created offline and without being a member of the domain.
    Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Sorry to be lazy, but would you be able to please share?
    Is there anything school/network specific within it? I dont think there is as it is created offline and without being a member of the domain.
    Thanks in advance
    Heres the V2 and the V1 for 7 and XP, both have blanked Start Menus.

Mandatory.zip

9. 10 Thanks to CallumCatterall:

atamakosi (30th January 2012), burgemaster (23rd January 2012), clarky2k3 (23rd April 2012), fiza (23rd January 2012), internetuser (23rd January 2012), JJanisch (10th February 2012), LoLoh (6th June 2012), Miscbrah (28th June 2012), Out_of_Sync (23rd January 2012), speckytecky (25th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Many thanks,
    Will try and put some time aside today to have a play

Thank Post
    Cheers for this, might save me a few days hassle.

I plan to use redirected start menus for students, so would the blank start menu be an issue ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
    Cheers for this, might save me a few days hassle.

I plan to use redirected start menus for students, so would the blank start menu be an issue ?
    Shouldnt be, Im currently using Group Policy shortcuts for my Start Menu though.

Thank Post
    Thanks @CallumCatterall

Worked a treat

Thank Post
    What is the best place to place mandatory profiles these days ?

Would
    \\SERVERNAME\Profiles\Windows7

Or should I put it in the sysvol to replicate ?

Thank Post
    Can anyone clarify this point about mandatory profiles... Does having mandatory profile mean it won't go through the personalization as if the user first login, does that cut down on the time a user logs in? Cause currently it does take a while for the user to go from typing credentials to windows finally finish loading.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosh View Post
    Can anyone clarify this point about mandatory profiles... Does having mandatory profile mean it won't go through the personalization as if the user first login, does that cut down on the time a user logs in? Cause currently it does take a while for the user to go from typing credentials to windows finally finish loading.
    To answer your question. A mandatory profiles is a profile that doesn't save any changes when you logoff. When you login in next time you get a fresh copy of the mandatory profile. I find this useful in school setups.

Thank Post
    Thanks for answering what mandatory profiles are. Does that mean that the personalization that happens when new accounts are first login happens all the time for mandatory profiles? By personalization, that little screen in the upper left at the beginning when the user first logons.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast