+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Remote support tools on Windows 7 ? (VNC) in Technical; In the early deployment stages of Windows 7 here. Just to say we are successfully using TightVNC to connect to ...
    Thank Post
    In the early deployment stages of Windows 7 here. Just to say we are successfully using TightVNC to connect to the clients.

Thank Post
    TightVNC works just fine.

Thank Post
    On our current XP clients, we've been using TightVNC on teacher machines (we have Impero for the student machines). While working on this year's Win7 build though, I've been playing with Microsoft's built-in Offer Assistance which I've found really useful. It does require the teacher to accept your connection, but then it works brilliantly and lets you chat to the member of staff to ask questions and the like. It also lets you respond to UAC prompts with some GP tweaking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Windows Remote Assistance, is built into windows 7 and can be configured via GPO. You can use it like VNC.

This is where I first spotted it EDIT: (and it is perfect)

Help users over the phone with Unsolicited Remote Assistance The Angry Technician
    Works fine and with XP to 7 Easy GUI for Remote Assistance Support

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyyn View Post
    On our current XP clients, we've been using TightVNC on teacher machines (we have Impero for the student machines). While working on this year's Win7 build though, I've been playing with Microsoft's built-in Offer Assistance which I've found really useful. It does require the teacher to accept your connection, but then it works brilliantly and lets you chat to the member of staff to ask questions and the like. It also lets you respond to UAC prompts with some GP tweaking.
    Just out of interest any reason not using Impero on the teachers machines?

Russell

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Just out of interest any reason not using Impero on the teachers machines?

Russell
    Well, we do have Impero installed on them to let them see and control the student machines in their room (and to let us run scripts etc easily on the fly) but all staff machines are in their own group which deny remote viewing and control because of Politics(tm), basically!

Edit to add:
    Basically, staff didn't like the idea of being "spied on" - and although we can still easily connect without their knowledge with TightVNC, I guess the fact that with VNC we have to actually deliberately connect to their machine, rather than their screens just appearing in the "Entire Network" view made all the difference and Remote Assistance is even better in their eyes because they have to accept the connection!"
    Last edited by Valyyn; 2nd March 2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added more info

Thank Post
    Combination of Impero and UltraVNC

UltraVNC is a backup to impero in we either don't have enough licenses for the amount of machines that are running or if the service/install breaks.

Well, we do have Impero installed on them to let them see and control the student machines in their room (and to let us run scripts etc easily on the fly) but all staff machines are in their own group which deny remote viewing and control because of Politics(tm), basically!

Edit to add:
    Basically, staff didn't like the idea of being "spied on" - and although we can still easily connect without their knowledge with TightVNC, I guess the fact that with VNC we have to actually deliberately connect to their machine, rather than their screens just appearing in the "Entire Network" view made all the difference and Remote Assistance is even better in their eyes because they have to accept the connection!"
    Why not just set them all to "Ask if allowed" that way they know if you're connecting.
    Last edited by mrbios; 2nd March 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Thank Post
    I've not really played with that in all honesty. The only thing is, when I view the Entire Network in Live Thumbnail view, will all the teachers suddenly get a popup asking them to allow it? Because I could see that getting very annoying if so! If it just denies when on live thumbnail view and only prompts when I actually click to view their machine in the popout then that could be good though - I think I might have a play after EOD today - thanks!

Thank Post
    I've not really played with that in all honesty. The only thing is, when I view the Entire Network in Live Thumbnail view, will all the teachers suddenly get a popup asking them to allow it? Because I could see that getting very annoying if so! If it just denies when on live thumbnail view and only prompts when I actually click to view their machine in the popout then that could be good though - I think I might have a play after EOD today - thanks!
    That's an interesting point now that you mention it, hopefully @russdev might be able to answer that

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wound up writing my own launcher for TightVNC in VB .Net 2010. We're not in a position where we have to ask permission to take over a machine and this setup even works when the machine isn't logged in.

Thank Post
    so if they don't trust you, by having access to view their screens, do they realise you can access ALL of their stored data??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12