+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, Auto Shutdown Programs for end of day. in Technical; Hi I use shutdownertron for windows xp and a scheduled task with windows 7. Richard...
    Thank Post
    Hi

I use shutdownertron for windows xp and a scheduled task with windows 7.

Richard

Thank Post
    I have a script which runs on the server and uses psshutdown from the SysInternal suite. If you want the script then let me know and I will post it (I don't have access at the moment). Essentially is reads a text file containing a list of classrooms and individual machines, pings them to see if it is alive and then runs psshutdown against the machine. I also use pskill to kill the screensaver as our machines take an age to shutdown if a screensaver is running.

I also use poweroff3 (http://users.telenet.be/jbosman/poweroff/poweroff.htm) as a service to shut the machines down at 9pm. This means that they will go off even if they are isolated from the network for some reason.

That said I did this before I know about shutdownertron and I suspect I would be looking seriously at that for a new setup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rh91uk View Post
    I just create a Scheduled Task on each machine (through GPP's) to c:\windows\shutdown.exe (with an argument) to shut down at a certain time and can be controlled/updated via GPP. Works a treat!
    I'd second this method. It's good because you can control it from Group Policy and will work if the machine is asleep (if you set it to wake to run the scheduled task). In addition you can set 'only run task if machine has been idle for 60 minutes' and retry for 600 minutes. This way it will only shut down the machine if it's not in use but the task will eventually run after the machine has been idle for an hour.
    You might also consider using PSShutdown (google it), similar to shutdown.exe but you have the option of adding a cancel button if you wish.

Thank Post
    We use a program called 'FOG'
    Great piece of software and does everything you need it to, i.e. format computers (single and bulk), shuts down, wake-up, completely wipe etc...
    the list goes on, you should check it out if you have a spare server
    fogproject.org

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Another vote here for Shutdownertron, no I don't work for them :-P .

Completely GPO friendly. Roll out the MSI by GPO and apply the time you want shutdown to occur with the same GPO. Works with Windows 7

Thank Post
    +1 for using GPP to schedule a shutdown. You get alot of flexibility and it seems to shutdown all the PCs even if they are asleep, disconnected from the network or on battery.

Thank Post
    we just use gpo to shut down and start up, we have machines in classrooms shut down at 3.15, offices at 5.30 and a final task to everything but servers and admins to shut down at 9.30, just in case someone has turned a machine on after its shut down. The whole site powers up at 7am. We often have probs with our HP DC7800 USDT machines not starting in the AM, we have however trained some tame teachers to turn on the 3 suites that use them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12