+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Printer problem, print server and GPO in Technical; Placed a network printer in the library shared with 6 pcs It's a HP Business jet 6000. Added the printer ...

Thank Post

Printer problem, print server and GPO

Placed a network printer in the library shared with 6 pcs

It's a HP Business jet 6000.

Added the printer to the print server and pushed it out via GPO.

Normally this works without any problems - I tested it fine on a local machine, however the printer is causing issues to the 6 library machines.

Previously on these machines there was a local printer shared from one pc through deployed printers in local GPO which I removed prior to the new printer being installed.

Now on these machines Printers and Devices is hanging, not only that it's causing office applications to hang too (word in particular). Weird thing is if I do a office repair the printers show up and word starts working again? This seems to work for a short while.

Things i've tried are restarting spool, clearing out the drivers folder under spool (plus other references to the old printers)

Clearing out the registry keys for references to old servers and printers under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\ (Environments) (Monitors) and servers)

Only thing that seems to work is repairing office?

Any clues before I push out an image to them ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I would make sure you have the correct drivers. For example, Windows 7 32Bit and Windows 7 64Bit require different sets of drivers.

This is also true if you're deploying from 2008 R2 (64Bit) to Windows 7 32Bit. You also need to enable 'Point and Print Restrictions', in both:

Computer Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Printers - Point and Print Restrictions

User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Control Panel > Printers - Point and Print Restrictions

Untick the two boxes and set both drop down menus to 'Do not show warning or elevation prompt'.

Thank Post
    Thanks Michael,

All windows 7 machines are 32Bit, running on a 2008 32Bit printserver. Latest drivers from HP (OJ6000vE609_Corporate_14.exe v14.0.0)

I tried that point and print restriction too, (It wasn't enabled and the printers still worked on the test machine) I've since left this setting enabled after reading about it.
    I've pretty much tried everything, I just find it weird that repairing office makes it work?!

Thank Post
    It is a little odd I agree. What version of Office and are you running the latest Service Pack and updates for it?

Thank Post
    office 2007 SP2, don't suppose it can't harm putting SP3 on there for a try.

Thank Post
    Yes, you never know. I've also found that profiles sometimes can create problems like this. Re-creating the profile can resolve many issues. I would try SP3 first though.

Thank Post
    Forgot to mention, I can't stop the spooler without setting it to manual in services and rebooting.

Trying SP3 now, fingers crossed!

Thank Post
    Bad/poor drivers can create problems with the spooler, including crashing it. Even so, you should still be able to stop it and start it again, either from Services.msc or from the command prompt (with admin rights):

Code:
    net stop spooler

net start spooler

9. Thanks to Michael from:

caffrey (5th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Think i've got it working, altho i'll only believe it if its ok tomorrow - thought I had this cracked on friday!

Changed the driver, but had to redo all the registry and spool dir stuff beforehand - and the printer magically appeared, and word started working again...

Still not holding my breath, might just reimage the machines over xmas

cheers again

Thank Post
    Spoke too soon, pushed out a fresh image to a machine still no go. I reinstalled the printer on the print server and deleted the drivers and started from scratch there too.
    If I go into devices and printers it hangs, also word hangs on loading - Now if I restart the spooler word and devices and printers springs back into life and the printer is there.
    Tried it with GPP too, again lots of issues.

Going to attempt to install locally via IP and see what happens.

Come to the conclusion - don't buy HP officejet 6000s, they are rubbish.....

Thing was this printer was deployed no problem with 4 xp machines - worked a treat - so it's some problem with HP drivers and Windows 7 - so much for progress!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Most, if not all, newer HP drivers have given me such grief that I'll scour for a compatible Microsoft driver before I use the real deal. You might want to give that a try.

Thank Post
    Yep, I wasted 3 days trying to fix it and gave up, now installed per machine which is a pain, daren't touch them now as they are running fine

I'm thinking it's something to do with WSD ports. I'll take into account your suggestion next time - but i'm considering alternate manufacturer now..

Thank Post
    We had massive problems with deploying printers with gpo's.

In the end we went for deploying them with GPP. It slightly slows down login times but it works well. Im trying to workd out if i can make the log on delay slightly better. I may try deploying them to machines rather than individual users.

Thank Post
    Had this problem on our network recently, and discovered that it can be resolved by using the old (version 12.0.0) drivers for the OfficeJet 6000.

The problem started occurring when we upgraded from 12.0.0 to 14.0.0 - deleting the old drivers & installing 12.0.0 instead resolved the problem.

You can get 12.0.0 from HP Officejet 6000 E609b Printer Driver Download - I know it's an 'unofficial' site, but check the digital signatures after downloading the '12.0.0 - Basic (IT)' x64 drivers, and so long as it's signed by 'Hewlett Packard Company', dated ‎21 ‎January ‎2009 03:14:22, you should be OK.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread