+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Users My Docs Link Deleted in Technical; Hey Guys, I have designed a new Windows 7 Image ready to rollout to my School. I think its about ...
    Thank Post

Question Users My Docs Link Deleted

Hey Guys,

I have designed a new Windows 7 Image ready to rollout to my School. I think its about ready... but I have been doing some testing and noticed something:

In the User's Folder where it has Desktop, Favorites, My Docs, Music, Vids e.t.c I have noticed that the user can delete these Links/Shortcuts?! So if they accidently press delete while clicked on the My Docs folder this gets rid of the whole lot! Any way that I could stop this? I have managed to lock down the Desktop folder by redirecting it and they can't delete that.

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks

Dan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Do you not redirect Docs folder?

Thank Post
    Yep I redirect My Docs. So in the Folder I have My Docs, My Music, My Pictures, & My Videos all pointing to their home drives on the Server. But if you right click on anyone of these folders you can delete them.

Thank Post
    But that would be the same as going into it and deleting it anyway surely? or am i missing something?

Thank Post
    In XP you there was no top level as such to be able to delete all of it without selecting all the work, so for example if I clicked on the My Docs on the Desktop in XP I wouldn't have been able to delete all of the work in there. But now with Windows 7 seperating the Folders like they do now you can Click the My Docs Folder and delete the whole lot in one go.

But yes essentially what you are saying is true you could just go into to the folder and delete it all if you wanted to.. but Windows 7 has made it easier to delete by letting you delete anything in the User's folder. I can right click on Fav's delete that Folder with no problem.. Same with Saved Games, Searches etc I don't really want them to be able to do this... our kids are very destructive here and if they find out they can do that they will! I just wondered if there was anyway to lock this down and stop this.

For the Shares on the network we have to lock it down so they can't delete folders because they love "accidently" deleting a whole classe's work.

Thank Post
    Ah I see what you mean.
    The way i have it here is that on the start menu where it has your username is removed, folders are redirected (the ones i want to redirect anyway) and then access to the C: drive is disallowed, therefore they can't get into the users section to be able to delete stuff. the gpo for it is something like /user config/admin templates/start menu and then in that folder

7. Thanks to glennda from:

dan41322 (28th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Yeh I like your idea of doing that! I was thinking of doing the same as I just don't want them getting into that user folder to be able to start deleting stuff like they like to do! I know how I can get rid of that folder completly but my next problem is that the Home Drive that used to be listed in Windows XP under My Computer isn't listed on Windows 7!! (I have posted another Thread about it but not had any answers on it so far.)

I know that I had this problem with Vista as well.. But I gave up on that long a go and went back to XP!

I am getting the hang of 7 finally, this is the last bit I need to work out!

Thank Post
    Ahhh I have just found it on another Forum why it wasn't working!!

I had a delete all the drives in my logon script... in Windows 7 this deletes the Home Drive link aswell!!

Thank Post
    Its another option in GPO to map the home directory

you can also map other drives using group policy preferences!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan41322 View Post
    Ahhh I have just found it on another Forum why it wasn't working!!

I had a delete all the drives in my logon script... in Windows 7 this deletes the Home Drive link aswell!!
    You will also notice with an Admin Account that mapped drives don't appear - it was some stupid windows "Security" thing

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I agree with Glenda, hide the user's name on the Start Menu by enabling the following policy:

User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar - Remove user folder link from Start Menu - Enabled

So all users can do is click the Start Menu and get direct access to Documents, Music and Videos. If users insist on deleting anything within their user directory, there's not a lot you can do about that unfortunately.

13. Thanks to Michael from:

dan41322 (28th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Awesome guys thanks for your input. I have deleted all references to user libraries, taken out the shortcuts to the user files and also take them off of the Start Menu. Now all they have access to is their Home Drive from My Computer... Now they can't go causing havoc!! Brill I am happy! Have finally achieved all that I wanted with Win 7 now.. (They'll change it tomorrow with an update or Windows 8 and i'll have to relearn it all over again haha)

Thanks again!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread