+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Loosing mapped drives from admin client to curric dc in Technical; During the summer we setup a few windows 7 machines for use on our admin side, all reception and admin ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down Loosing mapped drives from admin client to curric dc

During the summer we setup a few windows 7 machines for use on our admin side, all reception and admin have had windows 7 computers and it has been fairly trouble free apart from one or two very annoying problem. We run 2 vlans curric & admin and two dcs curric and admin. Admin staff have no policys on just their ad usernames no other settings applied and their files are stored in a number of shares on the adminserver when and where required.

We have a logon.bat which maps these drives, 1 of those drives maps to a staff document share on the curric dc, we do not have trusts between the dc's setup and this has not been a problem as admin staff are prompted when accessing the curric server for their curric logon. The strange thing is this mapped drive will loose connection, when you try to reconnect sometimes you will get "the network name/share is not avaliable"....ok so I try disconnect then remapping "could not be found". Attempted to run or ping to the curric dc also fail, 5mins later I try again the the mapping works again. The map drive may stay connected for hours, days or minutes it really varys, other times soon as you restart the windows 7 client the drive correctly maps again. We currnetly have the user disconnecting the drive and running a map script every time they loose connection as its not often they need to access the share but as previously mentioned this will not always work and its proving to be a headache! Any help would be great or ideas thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    There is a documented bug on these very forums relating to Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1 and VLANs.

To be honest though, if your users need data from a curric server and the admin server, a trust is recommended. You then have to ask yourself whether or not separate VLANs are actually worth the effort. Correctly configured permissions and single domains are the way to go.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

bondbill2k2 (24th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    To be honest though, if your users need data from a curric server and the admin server, a trust is recommended. You then have to ask yourself whether or not separate VLANs are actually worth the effort. Correctly configured permissions and single domains are the way to go.
    Yep its an old setup and we have had problems with the once existing trusts. Plans for single server setup early next year

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The hotfix has not helped

Thank Post
    So before you go ahead with a single domain, what's to stop you re-creating the trusts? It's a fairly straight forward thing to do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So before you go ahead with a single domain, what's to stop you re-creating the trusts? It's a fairly straight forward thing to do.
    Long story short we are on central active directorys with the local council who have some contracters who manage the LG which we have to grant remote logon to our server due to "a problem" with the LG back in september , ever since they broke the trusts and we have not been able to set them back up, we have had the School ICT Support helping us and spend many hours trying to fix the trusts but still to no luck!
    Shall give it another go tho I havnt looked that closely at it thats been for the NM

Thank Post
    It would be interesting to see how or why they broke the trusts. A good starting place is to check that Forest and Domain functional levels are at the correct level. In another post, I upgraded most of my domains to Windows Server 2008 R2 functional level - but only when I knew all DCs were at the correct level.

I've never done this, but I am guessing if you upgraded the Forest to say Windows Server 2008 R2 and your Domain functional level was Windows Server 2003, I suspect this would mess things up big time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right ive tryed to recreate the trusts between our DC and the DNS name cannot be found, the adminserver seems to be standalone not in any forest where the print server and curric DC are part of the councils forest

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorted the trusts and amused that a few people higher then me spent hours on it and didnt sort it, some reason the DNS on the adminserver NIC wasnt looking at our DNS server -_- trusts all repaired now wil look at other problems now!

Thank Post
    OK so it sounds like your Curric server/domain is a member of a larger forest (which is OK), but I presume then the admin server is in its own forest and domain from what you're describing?

Edit: Great stuff, so it was a DNS problem after all. Glad you sorted it
    Last edited by Michael; 28th November 2011 at 10:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK so it sounds like your Curric server/domain is a member of a larger forest (which is OK), but I presume then the admin server is in its own forest and domain from what you're describing?
    Yes thats the setup, I've allowed a one way trust from admin to curric now and tested a few shares from the admin side all seems to be ok, I'll keep an eye on the share in question and see how it goes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread