+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Moved to GPP - "Applying Group Policy Printers" ? thought i wasnt using GP? in Technical; Hi, I have moved from using group policy deployment using the printing management console, over to Group policy preferences. Some ...

Thank Post

Moved to GPP - "Applying Group Policy Printers" ? thought i wasnt using GP?

Hi,

I have moved from using group policy deployment using the printing management console, over to Group policy preferences.
    Some of the Windows 7 machines are hanging on "Applying Group Policy Printers" for ages. Then after this it then runs the correct GP "Map Printers (GPP)"

Am i right in thinking that as i have switched to GPP i shouldn't be even seeing the "applying group policy printers" as it isnt doing anything?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    No that sounds right we saw that on our system when we trialed the GPP Printers however it was sticking at that and had numerous issues with drivers and HP Printers in general so we ditched it and went back to a logon script instead which was much more reliable and significantly quicker!

Thank Post
    Thanks john,

Getting really sick of this now...
    The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 3243 second(s) to handle the notification event (CreateSession).
    That`s only 54minutes !!!!

Thank Post
    disable "Point and Print Restrictions" settings under both "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printer" and "User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers"

***i use GPP for printers and ive never noticed the "applying group policy printers"
    Last edited by mtdmitchell; 24th November 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post
    disable "Point and Print Restrictions" settings under both "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printer" and "User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers"

***i use GPP for printers and ive never noticed the "applying group policy printers"
    ive found it better to enable point and print but set it to "just get on with it" mode and only print to servers in this forrest

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I also enable 'Point and Print Restrictions' under both User and Computer config.

Untick the first two boxes, then set both drop down menus to 'Do not show warning or elevation prompt'. That's it.

As for the message Applying Group Policy Printers, if you have verbose messages enabled or maybe specific printer GPOs set (like the above policy) you may still see this message. In my experience, it literally appears for seconds although I do use GPOs to deploy printers (so it's to be expected)

Thank Post
    The user 'Delete All' preference item in the 'Map Printers - (GPP) {582B98DF-38A0-4C9F-953C-47A05961C85A}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x8000ffff Catastrophic failure' This error was suppressed.
    The user 'Library - Mono - Samsung ML-2855' preference item in the 'Map Printers - (GPP) {582B98DF-38A0-4C9F-953C-47A05961C85A}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070709 The printer name is invalid.' This error was suppressed.
    The user 'Delete All' preference item in the 'Map Printers - (GPP) {582B98DF-38A0-4C9F-953C-47A05961C85A}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x8000ffff Catastrophic failure' This error was suppressed.

This really has been a "Catastrophic failure" !!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdmitchell View Post

We use GPP and this appears at every logon, maybe you do not have "Verbose" mode enabled in group policy?

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread