+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
Windows 7 Thread, H:\document.doc is currently in use. Try again later in Technical; We only have the problem occasionally and it usually fixes it by closing the open file through Share and Storage ...
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67
    Thank Post
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    We only have the problem occasionally and it usually fixes it by closing the open file through Share and Storage Management. We don't use offline files though.

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi,

    we do the same as above and use the share management on the server but we have had 3 cases where this didnt solve it but a reboot of the server did.

    thanks

    robs

  3. #18
    dan41322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I remember an issue like this I had was on Server 2003 and Windows 7 I had to do something with Oplocks in the Registry on the Server. The Server was locking the files... disabling this via the registry fixed the problem... Could this be your issue??

    Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    518
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by dan41322 View Post
    I remember an issue like this I had was on Server 2003 and Windows 7 I had to do something with Oplocks in the Registry on the Server. The Server was locking the files... disabling this via the registry fixed the problem... Could this be your issue??

    Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows
    Not sure if the note about windows vista would also apply to windows 7. We use offline files so not sure if that will cause it fail.

  5. #20
    dan41322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    It would apply to Vista as well. I was also using offline files when this problem occurred.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    518
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by dan41322 View Post
    It would apply to Vista as well. I was also using offline files when this problem occurred.
    Did you do this on the server or on the client?

  7. #22
    dan41322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Do it on the Server, then Reboot it.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    962
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Not yet resolved this, no.

    Having other issues with H:\ drives though at the minute - For example yesterday a student was working on their document, then suddenly they had a H:\ drive but there was nothing there! (Although the files still existed on the file server). Also I've had reports of a 'red cross' on network drives from time to time but there is no consistent pattern and it is driving me crazy!

  9. #24

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    518
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    Not yet resolved this, no.

    Having other issues with H:\ drives though at the minute - For example yesterday a student was working on their document, then suddenly they had a H:\ drive but there was nothing there! (Although the files still existed on the file server). Also I've had reports of a 'red cross' on network drives from time to time but there is no consistent pattern and it is driving me crazy!
    So your getting the same issue with office 2010??? did you apply the fix above on the server?

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    176
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    So your getting the same issue with office 2010??? did you apply the fix above on the server?
    Hi, I had similar issue when offline files were enabled on staff laptops. When offile option was turned off everything worked and users could open and save files online, but obviously they couldn't access their H:\ (home drive) outside school.

    I got Microsoft involved and checked AD and group policies and everything on the DCs and file server (server 2008) and couldn't find anythging wrong.

    The cause was the laptops couldn't connect to users home directory properly, as they were connecting direct to a Linux OS storage server. I've always said and insisted with the company who supplied us with server that it was to with the Linux box and laptops didn't like it. The minute we changed the configuration of the storage server and made it into a SAN connecting from one of the DCs (server 2008) using iscsi that worked and cured all sors of problems with locked files and issue with accessing data on the file server.

    Have you changed the configuration of your file server?

  11. #26

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    518
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Hi, I had similar issue when offline files were enabled on staff laptops. When offile option was turned off everything worked and users could open and save files online, but obviously they couldn't access their H:\ (home drive) outside school.

    I got Microsoft involved and checked AD and group policies and everything on the DCs and file server (server 2008) and couldn't find anythging wrong.

    The cause was the laptops couldn't connect to users home directory properly, as they were connecting direct to a Linux OS storage server. I've always said and insisted with the company who supplied us with server that it was to with the Linux box and laptops didn't like it. The minute we changed the configuration of the storage server and made it into a SAN connecting from one of the DCs (server 2008) using iscsi that worked and cured all sors of problems with locked files and issue with accessing data on the file server.

    Have you changed the configuration of your file server?
    No i haven't. The server was built in the summer of 2011 and all the files were migrated from a 2003 server. Im going to try and disable the oportunistic locking on the server during half term and see if that works.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    We are having the same issue, we use offline files, and teachers are saying they open the document and when this happens after updating the document they close it and reopen it and it is then fine

    I have disabled the Windows Search service to stop indexing of files and this has not solved it

    does anyone have a solution?

  13. #28

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,755
    Thank Post
    825
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by danpitman2 View Post
    We are having the same issue, we use offline files, and teachers are saying they open the document and when this happens after updating the document they close it and reopen it and it is then fine

    I have disabled the Windows Search service to stop indexing of files and this has not solved it

    does anyone have a solution?
    Sorry cant be much help. It just seemed to disappear from our system.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    518
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    I never resolved it either. I think people are just putting up with as no one esle is complaining of it.

  15. #30

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,228
    Thank Post
    239
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    In Windows 7, try disabling the Offline Files service as well as the Offline Files GPO, then reboot.

    You can disable the service via GPO instead of going round each machine (before someone asks!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12th May 2012, 02:34 AM
  2. Hang out or try again later?
    By X-13 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 5th February 2011, 08:09 PM
  3. the spelling in this item cannot be checked. try again later
    By danrhodes in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd April 2010, 04:07 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20th July 2008, 09:38 AM
  5. The product key you typed is already in use
    By OverWorked in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17th January 2008, 06:20 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •