+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, H:\document.doc is currently in use. Try again later in Technical; We only have the problem occasionally and it usually fixes it by closing the open file through Share and Storage ...

Thank Post
    We only have the problem occasionally and it usually fixes it by closing the open file through Share and Storage Management. We don't use offline files though.

Thank Post
    Hi,

we do the same as above and use the share management on the server but we have had 3 cases where this didnt solve it but a reboot of the server did.

thanks

robs

Thank Post
    I remember an issue like this I had was on Server 2003 and Windows 7 I had to do something with Oplocks in the Registry on the Server. The Server was locking the files... disabling this via the registry fixed the problem... Could this be your issue??

Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan41322 View Post
    I remember an issue like this I had was on Server 2003 and Windows 7 I had to do something with Oplocks in the Registry on the Server. The Server was locking the files... disabling this via the registry fixed the problem... Could this be your issue??

Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows
    Not sure if the note about windows vista would also apply to windows 7. We use offline files so not sure if that will cause it fail.

Thank Post
    It would apply to Vista as well. I was also using offline files when this problem occurred.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan41322 View Post
    It would apply to Vista as well. I was also using offline files when this problem occurred.
    Did you do this on the server or on the client?

Thank Post
    Do it on the Server, then Reboot it.

Thank Post
    Not yet resolved this, no.

Having other issues with H:\ drives though at the minute - For example yesterday a student was working on their document, then suddenly they had a H:\ drive but there was nothing there! (Although the files still existed on the file server). Also I've had reports of a 'red cross' on network drives from time to time but there is no consistent pattern and it is driving me crazy!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    Not yet resolved this, no.

Having other issues with H:\ drives though at the minute - For example yesterday a student was working on their document, then suddenly they had a H:\ drive but there was nothing there! (Although the files still existed on the file server). Also I've had reports of a 'red cross' on network drives from time to time but there is no consistent pattern and it is driving me crazy!
    So your getting the same issue with office 2010??? did you apply the fix above on the server?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    So your getting the same issue with office 2010??? did you apply the fix above on the server?
    Hi, I had similar issue when offline files were enabled on staff laptops. When offile option was turned off everything worked and users could open and save files online, but obviously they couldn't access their H:\ (home drive) outside school.

I got Microsoft involved and checked AD and group policies and everything on the DCs and file server (server 2008) and couldn't find anythging wrong.

The cause was the laptops couldn't connect to users home directory properly, as they were connecting direct to a Linux OS storage server. I've always said and insisted with the company who supplied us with server that it was to with the Linux box and laptops didn't like it. The minute we changed the configuration of the storage server and made it into a SAN connecting from one of the DCs (server 2008) using iscsi that worked and cured all sors of problems with locked files and issue with accessing data on the file server.

Have you changed the configuration of your file server?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Hi, I had similar issue when offline files were enabled on staff laptops. When offile option was turned off everything worked and users could open and save files online, but obviously they couldn't access their H:\ (home drive) outside school.

I got Microsoft involved and checked AD and group policies and everything on the DCs and file server (server 2008) and couldn't find anythging wrong.

The cause was the laptops couldn't connect to users home directory properly, as they were connecting direct to a Linux OS storage server. I've always said and insisted with the company who supplied us with server that it was to with the Linux box and laptops didn't like it. The minute we changed the configuration of the storage server and made it into a SAN connecting from one of the DCs (server 2008) using iscsi that worked and cured all sors of problems with locked files and issue with accessing data on the file server.

Have you changed the configuration of your file server?
    No i haven't. The server was built in the summer of 2011 and all the files were migrated from a 2003 server. Im going to try and disable the oportunistic locking on the server during half term and see if that works.

Thank Post
    We are having the same issue, we use offline files, and teachers are saying they open the document and when this happens after updating the document they close it and reopen it and it is then fine

I have disabled the Windows Search service to stop indexing of files and this has not solved it

does anyone have a solution?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danpitman2 View Post
    We are having the same issue, we use offline files, and teachers are saying they open the document and when this happens after updating the document they close it and reopen it and it is then fine

I have disabled the Windows Search service to stop indexing of files and this has not solved it

does anyone have a solution?
    Sorry cant be much help. It just seemed to disappear from our system.

Thank Post
    I never resolved it either. I think people are just putting up with as no one esle is complaining of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    In Windows 7, try disabling the Offline Files service as well as the Offline Files GPO, then reboot.

You can disable the service via GPO instead of going round each machine (before someone asks!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast