+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Compatibility Problem Found in Technical; Hello all, I came across a compatibility issue I thought I would share. I seem to be the first in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts

Compatibility Problem Found

Hello all,

I came across a compatibility issue I thought I would share. I seem to be the first in the world to discover this, lucky me!

Setup
    Using either Windows 7 x86 or Windows 7 SP1 x86, with Smart Notebook 10.8 installed and Coco3 Control installed.

The Coco3 software runs on the above setup, however when connecting a control box via USB it doesn't communicate with the software.

The temporary solution I've found is to navigate to Control Panel, open up Device Manager and look for Human Interface Devices. By expanding this, there's two entries for Smart. By disabling both of these, Coco3 will then communicate correctly with the control box.

The alternative is don't install Smart Notebook 10.8 or Coco3 on the same workstation, if you intend on using the control box. The software itself will run correctly, just without the control box.

Thank Post
    $€*% suspect that one will affect me as well if its true on x64

Thank Post
    I can't see why it would be any different with Windows 7 x64 or Windows 7 SP1 x64.

I've been in contact with both Coco3 Support and Smart Notebook Support. I still recommend both products, it's just annoying they won't both work fully together on the same machine.

I haven't as yet tried Windows XP SP3, Smart Notebook 10.8 and Coco3 to see if the problem happens with this setup. I was using Smart Notebook 10.3 (from memory) and everything worked correctly. I can only speculate something has possibly changed in Smart Notebook 10.8.

It's just ironic as I updated to Smart Notebook 10.8 as Smart themselves said that it addresses a lot of issues from previous version 10 builds. Also, previous version 10 builds (such as 10.3) will not automatically download the latest version update. It's something you have to do manually or as I did, include it as part of a new image.

Thank Post
    Investigating this problem further, I have found a solution around this. If like myself you deploy Smart Notebook 10.8 as part of an image, you can still disable the two Smart entries under Human Interface Devices (in Device Manager) using a GPP in 2008 R2.

Install RSAT on your Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1 workstation, including Group Policy Management. Install Smart Notebook 10.8 (if it isn't already installed).

Create a new policy, then navigate to: Computer Config > Preferences > Control Panel Settings > Devices.

Right click - Devices > New > Device. Click the button next to Device Class and in turn locate - Human Interface Devices > Smart HID Device and Smart Virtual TabletPC

Select 'Disable' from the Action drop down menu for both entries. Link the policy and you're done

Thank Post
    I've also found a completely separate bug between Smart Notebook 10.8 and PowerPoint 2010 SP1. Details can be found here

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread