+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7, slow logons for hot-desking users in Technical; We have moved our admin offices over to windows 7 in the last 6 months. Everything is working pretty well, ...

Thank Post

Windows 7, slow logons for hot-desking users

We have moved our admin offices over to windows 7 in the last 6 months. Everything is working pretty well, and we are happy with the way it has gone. The rest of our workstations are still running xp for teachers and students.

The admin offices are using some light locking down with gpo policies, and I have got folder redirection working for the following:
    Desktop: redirected using gpo to unc path with read only access for users, based on user group (advanced).
    Documents: redirected using gpo to users home directory.
    Pictures/music/video: redirected using gpo to h:\my music/pictures/videos
    Downloads: redirected using gpo to h:\downloads
    Favourites redirected using gpo to h:\my intranet
    App data left local (not redirected).
    Links: redirected using gpo to unc path with read only access again for users.

According to eventvwr all these are being successfully redirected, however the entire logon time first time round for these users can take about 1.45 to 2mins to logon. They are using local profiles (no default network profile setup). Other logon times after this are very quick (obviously) as the profile is local and now cached on the client workstation.
    I am willing to forgive the initial slow logon first time round, as these users do not 'hot desk', so this is an infrequent task for these users, and the only time an first time logon occurs, if the machine needs a rebuild/local hard drive failure.

Is there anyway to speed this up, or something I am doing wrong here? Should I be using unc paths /other config instead of h:\pictures for the music/videos/pictures/downloads? It also seems to take a long time at 'preparing desktop' phase of logon first time round (approx 1 minute), before getting to the desktop. Is this normal for local profile creation? Considering there is no data being transferred at logon, i am wondering why this is taking as long as it does..
    We have offline files DISABLED, so I am wondering what the problem here could be.

I am now tasking myself with doing the setup for the student and teacher workstations. Current logon times take about 30-45 seconds, on Xp even with loading reasonable 20mb profiles, a complex start menu/desktop shortcut structure setup, mapping network drives using a script, and mapping printers based on OU name. This also includes waiting for about 8-10 seconds for the acceptable usage agreement to come up, and the button to be enabled.

Using the admin office gpo as a base, I exported the current gpo object out, and re-imported into a new one for the student workstations and users. I have setup a new OU structure for windows 7 inside our current xp structure, blocked policy inheritance on it to stop existing xp policies applying and causing issues. Just thinking about this, it will have blocked the default domain policy, could this be affecting things?

This is a hotdesking environment and like xp, we want to use folder redirection with most items sent to the users home area, but this time with mandatory roaming profiles, as we have approx 1600 students, and 200 staff on this site. We also have a lot more apps and server based/cd-rom apps, with a very structured start menu setup. To populate this, i have extensively used gpp, which seems to be working successfully.
    So far I have got nearly everything working okay, and redirected desktops set to a local folder on each workstation, but one for students, and one for staff. This seems to be working okay, and I am happy with the way security is working to stop students and staff saving work/data on the desktop. I currently dont have any mandatory roaming profiles setup, but again, logon seems to take at best, 2mins. Compared to xp, this is horrendous, and I really hope to get this resolved. I am sure it must be something I have done, but again looking through eventvwr, everything seems to be working correctly, and folder redirection is working 'apparently'. It also takes about a minutes to get past the dreaded 'preparing desktop' at logon. We have very basic users setup during testing (no profiles, or logon scripts set in AD), so I dont think this could be causing the issue!

We have a firm grasp of GPO, folder redirection and startup/login scripts, so am unsure what to do next.
    Thanks for any advice help you can give.

Thanks
    Mark.

Thank Post
    Just been reading up on it on here...seems that us using fsrm to block desktop.ini could be causing issues with our folder redirection! Testing tommorow...lol

Thank Post
    I have slow logins too.... And also block desktop.ini by fsrm....will keep an eye on this thread....

Thank Post
    Remove fsrm desktop.ini blocker, it speeds up the folder redirection immensley. You are best following the windows 7 default folder style, and making documents a subdirectory of the users home share. This works fine, and resolves the issue of multiple "my documents" folders in your students folder on your server.

Mooching about, desktop.ini gets everywhere! Looking at the file, its contents refer to shell.dll, so its obviously some critical system file, and gives the folder its special appearance with the icons, over a normal folder.

Thank Post
    Thanks - will have a play tomorrow...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _techie_ View Post
    Remove fsrm desktop.ini blocker, it speeds up the folder redirection immensley. You are best following the windows 7 default folder style, and making documents a subdirectory of the users home share. This works fine, and resolves the issue of multiple "my documents" folders in your students folder on your server.

Mooching about, desktop.ini gets everywhere! Looking at the file, its contents refer to shell.dll, so its obviously some critical system file, and gives the folder its special appearance with the icons, over a normal folder.
    Thinking about this - do you have to create in each users home share a folder that you then map to?
    ie. do you create a folder using a script in each users share called "mydocs" - and then redirect to that?

Thank Post
    My home folder re-direction on windows 7 looks like:

Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)
    Path: %HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%

Thank Post
    Yes we just set it to: H:\Documents where H: is the letter used for the users Home Directory. This seems to follow the w7 way of thing working. You don't need to create folders to start with, unless you need specific folder permissions to stop users writing there (e.g. Desktop etc...)

Hope this helps
    _techie_

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread