+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Changing a few things at the login screen? in Technical; Hi, We wish to change a few things on the Windows login screen. Not sure if this is possible... When ...

Thank Post

Changing a few things at the login screen?

Hi,

We wish to change a few things on the Windows login screen. Not sure if this is possible...

When a computer joins the domain the user image is removed (which is fine) but it leaves the border/frame which looks stupid. Is there any way to remove this or put our schools logo there?

It says "How do I log on to another domain?" that you can click to find the computer name and other info; can this be replaced with text: "Computer: computer-name"?

Thanks

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have changed the login screen with some success. The school badge appears where the user image used to. However as you have described the frame stays in place. I have not deployed different login screen resolutions that would solve the problem where the school badge does not line up properly on all screens. There is a thread on Edugeek somewhere that I used as my guide when making thse changes. If I can find it I will post the link in this thread.

Edit: Here is the thread I was thinking of:

Link: Windows 7 login
    Last edited by DaveP; 9th November 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Add detail to the post.

Thank Post
    What you want to do with the domain text requires hacking the dll for the login screen which I would suggest is maybe a little bit of overkill. You used to be able to use bginfo to do stuff like this but I don't think they updated it for a Win 7 login.
    However you could try this that was posted on the sysinternals forum (the people who made bginfo)

Can we get a new BGInfo for Windows 7? - Sysinternals Forums - Page 1

Thank Post
    I have successfully managed to do this.
    What you need to do, is make an image for certain resolutions that you have (e.g. 1280x1024, 1024x768, 1280x800 widescreen) which includes you school badge in the right location. Your badge would also need to be a cerain height or width to fit the frame, so would need to be patient getting this setup. Personally I used fireworks mx to make my images, as I can create a png from several layers, (your badge being one of them) thus meaning you can make small adjustments and tweaks to its position, whilst also exporting your png as an image for your bginfo script to work.

I can give you the folders you need, but you will need to be proficient with an image editing program, and group policy to achieve what you want. For the welcome screen to work, you also have to logon once, for it to apply, as it needs to copy some files around as part of the process.

Let me know if you need anything or any help.

Thanks
    Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Do MS do a feature request such like Capita? If so I think We should put this forward. As many have stated its fairly easy to change.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Do MS do a feature request such like Capita? If so I think We should put this forward. As many have stated its fairly easy to change.
    Yes, they call it upgrade to Windows 8 I highly doubt Microsoft will address this, although I suspect someone will probably release a custom tool for it at some point.

A good example of this is EasyBCD, which is much easier than Microsoft's own methods.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread