+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 and SSD in Technical; I've got a 64GB SSD which I've whacked win7 on to. I know displayed sizes of drives are going to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Win 7 and SSD

I've got a 64GB SSD which I've whacked win7 on to. I know displayed sizes of drives are going to be under 64GB, but in my computer it shows as something like 57GB total with 35gb used on c:
    However if i select every single file on c: and do properties it comes to 11gb. where is this erroneus 20gb gone? If the files on the drive are taking up 11gb and it displays a total of 57gb, why when i go to disk properties does it say 35gb used.

i know win7 makes a partition for sys files, but surely this wouldn't show up under the c: section? also i thought that was only about 1gb!

The only thing I'd done differently is usually in Win setup I will select the partition and format it myself in the setup. This time I just clicked next and it was on unallocated space, so i assume it then formats and partitions the drive itself. That is the only difference to other installs i've done that don't take up 35gb

Thank Post
    Hidden files and folders - theres lots on a win 7 install drive!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    I've got a 64GB SSD which I've whacked win7 on to. I know displayed sizes of drives are going to be under 64GB, but in my computer it shows as something like 57GB total with 35gb used on c:
    However if i select every single file on c: and do properties it comes to 11gb. where is this erroneus 20gb gone? If the files on the drive are taking up 11gb and it displays a total of 57gb, why when i go to disk properties does it say 35gb used.

i know win7 makes a partition for sys files, but surely this wouldn't show up under the c: section? also i thought that was only about 1gb!

The only thing I'd done differently is usually in Win setup I will select the partition and format it myself in the setup. This time I just clicked next and it was on unallocated space, so i assume it then formats and partitions the drive itself. That is the only difference to other installs i've done that don't take up 35gb
    That's about right mate. Mine shows up as 59Gb, I have 13Gb free with Office etc installed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deceptivex View Post
    That's about right mate. Mine shows up as 59Gb, I have 13Gb free with Office etc installed.
    I'm sure I've done installs before and it's taken up about 15/20GB at most, 35GB just seems overkill.
    Looks like I'll be needing another drive for program files then, because no way is steam plus all the steam downloads fitting into 19gb spare. Bah and balls

Thank Post
    Windows 7 should turn it off (for SSDs) but see if the page file is still enabled - also check if system hybernation is still enabled.

One other thing to use is good old WinDir - it'll map out in a nice graphical way where all your storage is going.

Thank Post
    some oif the diff will be due to files that are say 2k but because of the way the disk works take up a say 16k blobk so there is in my example 14k of space that you cant use but isnt used (so for example you have 3l of water and you only have 2l bottles ones going to be half full and you cant use that other half to store say orange juice)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Windows 7 should turn it off (for SSDs) but see if the page file is still enabled - also check if system hybernation is still enabled.

One other thing to use is good old WinDir - it'll map out in a nice graphical way where all your storage is going.
    will it do that "on the fly" if i clone my existing hdd to my new ssd or will it only do it on a fresh install? (mindu i can always move it manually to drive d anyway)
    Last edited by sted; 2nd November 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Double check the page file. I have my whole school with 64gb partitions (as over 300 have 64gb ssd's) and i've not had a problem. We have the full school image on them which has the likes of cs3/studio 8 and don't have problems

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    From an elevated command prompt, run powercfg -h off to disable hibernation (assuming you don't use it).

If you have 8-16GB RAM, look at reducing the size of the pagefile, but DO NOT disable it completely.

Delete any files you may have in your Temp folders. CCleaner is good at doing this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    will it do that "on the fly" if I clone my existing hdd to my new ssd or will it only do it on a fresh install?
    Yes. I've cloned a HDD to an SSD and Windows did automatically disable defrag and enable TRIM. I re-ran the WEI just to make sure though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is probably just Volume Shadow Copy. Go into the drive properties and look at the previous versions tab. Delete the snapshots, turn it off or you can even use disk cleanup tool (under admin privilages) > Cleanup system files button > more options tab > system restore and shadow copies > clean up..

This should clean up a whole bunch. By default Win 7 also has the whole compressed install image installed in the background but that would not cause such usage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just as an addition, this was immediately after the win7 install had finished, it rebooted into win7 and that was the drive usage.
    i do have 16gb so what should the recommended page file be? i'll have a look at the rest when i get home, cheers guys

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Page file; I think the recommended ammount was 1.5/2 times the RAM for system dumps etc. On a side note paging to the SSD will kill its life span a lot quicker so more RAM and no page file will make your system even faster and last longer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Page file; I think the recommended ammount was 1.5/2 times the RAM for system dumps etc. On a side note paging to the SSD will kill its life span a lot quicker so more RAM and no page file will make your system even faster and last longer.
    well i mean i have 16gb so if you're saying 2x the ram i'm looking at 32gb of a 64gb drive gone! can't really be doing with that tbh!
    is there any reason the pagefile should not be turned off?

Thank Post
    Pagefile needs to be enabled for memory dumps. On my home system I run with it disabled, never get close to filling 12gb of ram. Programs certainly run snapier with it off. BF3 loads new maps very quickly even without an SSD.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mostly just memory dumps if you have lots of RAM, I'd probably run without it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast