+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Word 2010 and Roaming Profiles in Technical; Hello, first, sorry for my bad englisch! I have Office 2010 and Windows 7 on a laptop. We work with ...

Thank Post

Word 2010 and Roaming Profiles

Hello,

first, sorry for my bad englisch!

I have Office 2010 and Windows 7 on a laptop.

We work with roaming profiles in our network.

When I copy a Word-document on my local drive and seperate the network from the laptop I can't open the Word-document.

The message is:
    "The File "normal.dotm" can't open, caused problems because their content"

Greetings
    Tobi

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The normal.dotm file is like a default Word template file. You could try repairing Office and this should re-create one for you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    you may find that the normal.dotm template has been redirected to a network location - in which case it won't work enless the redirection is removed.

Thank Post
    I have repair Windows and the same problem is there.

It work when the network is done and said:
    ""The File "normal.dotm" can't open, caused problems because their content""

Greets

Thank Post
    Good morning,

We have run an operating system to Windows 7 on our laptops.

As an Office product, we have Office 2010 installed on a local disk.

Users have roaming profiles (Windows Server 2008).

It occurs on the following problem:
    If the laptop is connected to the network, the user copies an Office document (Word, Excel) from the network on the local drive and open them without problems.

Once the user with a laptop but not on the network (network cables, and no wifi), can not open the file.
    Error message:
    "The normal.dotm can not be opened because its content is causing problems
    Details>>>
    Keien error details available "

I created a test OU and once cleared by one, all Group Policy objects (inheritance disabled) and unfortunately it came at the user continues to the error message.

I too have the "Normal.dot" cleared by hand and can re-create, unfortunately, this brought no solution.

Interestingly, the error message and not open the document, if I sign up with the administrator, OR if I delete the user profile from the computer (Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> User Profiles)

Thank Post
    In 2010 Microsoft Word I cannot format a doc with default page number template or a coverletter. my selection just reads Top of Page - Save Selection as Page Number (Top). And Save Selection as Page Number (Top) is greyed out. I should be able to hover my mouse and get a selection of templates to choose from.

We have reset my userID, then Re-imaged the PC, which didn't work. Also which ever machine I log onto it is the same issue.
    We also tried to reset my UserID and then signon a different machine for the first time with the re-set UserID.
    Something to note, If someone else logs onto the computer, they do not have this issue as Word works properly.
    I do have the Normal.dotm files and the Building blocks files.
    We tried replacing the files with ones from profiles that are not having the issue and this did not solve the problem.
    We renamed the building blocks files and opened word. It still didn't work, and new building block files were added to the folder.

Is there a way to correct this issue, and what in a roaming profile could cause this type of error.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidU-goa View Post
    In 2010 Microsoft Word I cannot format a doc with default page number template or a coverletter. my selection just reads Top of Page - Save Selection as Page Number (Top). And Save Selection as Page Number (Top) is greyed out. I should be able to hover my mouse and get a selection of templates to choose from.

We have reset my userID, then Re-imaged the PC, which didn't work. Also which ever machine I log onto it is the same issue.
    We also tried to reset my UserID and then signon a different machine for the first time with the re-set UserID.
    Something to note, If someone else logs onto the computer, they do not have this issue as Word works properly.
    I do have the Normal.dotm files and the Building blocks files.
    We tried replacing the files with ones from profiles that are not having the issue and this did not solve the problem.
    We renamed the building blocks files and opened word. It still didn't work, and new building block files were added to the folder.

Is there a way to correct this issue, and what in a roaming profile could cause this type of error.
    Hi - we are experiencing this issue.

Did you manage to solve it?

Cheers -Andrew

Thank Post
    No we did not solve this problem, as no solutions provided to this thread or the TechCenter Forum have worked.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread