+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Administrator cannot unlock a locked machine on a domain in Technical; Hey Guys and Girls I have come across a problem with our machines on our network running windows 7 professional. ...
    Thank Post

Administrator cannot unlock a locked machine on a domain

Hey Guys and Girls

I have come across a problem with our machines on our network running windows 7 professional. When a user locks the machine, we as administrators cannot unlock the machine forcing the currently logged on user to log off like you could in windows XP.

I have been doing a bit of searching on the net i found the attached zip file which contains some reg files, a couple of cmd files depending on your verison of windows (x86 or x64) and a could of DLLs. I have attached it to this message so if you do download this zip file make sure you run the cmd file (depending on your archieture of windows) in "Run as Administrator" mode as it copies a dll to the system32 folder. I got the file from reading this post How to Unlock Windows 7 Enterprise when another user has locked the screen? and thought i would share it with people. I tried the Alt+W combination but found that it activated fast user switching which wasn't ideal for us as it wasn't completely logging the logged on user off.

This little program allows any user of the local admin group to log off a user who has locked their machine, just like in windows XP without using fast user switching. It basically takes seconds to install and when a user locks their machine, they get the message stating that user x has locked this machine ... "This computer is locked. Only the logged on user can unlock the computer" and to unlock it you need to press control, alt, del and log in with the users details who have locked the machine.

Well this little installer, creates a button underneath the username and password box called "Other Credentials" and then takes you to a screen where you can select administrator unlock and enter the details of anyone who is a member of the local admin group (unfortunately our teachers are part of the local admin group due to when sims does the termly updates ). I have attached some screen shots of the problem we had and how the AdministrativeUnlock works.

Hope this helps someone out... its definately helped me out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. 9 Thanks to timbo343:

DaveyPitch (19th October 2011), dgsmith (19th October 2011), Duke5A (24th October 2011), FN-GM (7th November 2011), Jamman960 (18th November 2011), le4ne (8th March 2013), mac_shinobi (31st July 2012), pooley (18th November 2011), sonofsanta (31st July 2012)

Thank Post
    Top stuff, very useful

Thank Post
    Personally if ive ever come across that ive simply opened a command prompt and sent "shutdown -r -t 1 -m \\pcname" to reboot it. Has the same affect..... pretty much.

Thank Post
    I stop the students from being able to lock machines, the staff have their own notebook / desktop, so if they lock it, it's them who unlock it..

I used to have an auto-logoff on the few machines we have in the teachers ICT suite, but since the only people that use these machines now are the student teachers, I'm slowly removing the machines when no-ones looking.

Thank Post
    We too stop students from locking their machines but this little install is ideal for schools where teachers lock their machines if they a have classroom machines which are static but teachers share the room. Many of times we have been called to either restart the machine, with this they can do it them selves.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The other option is to disable the option to switch user through Group Policy - this then reverts to the Windows XP behaviour of logging the user off if the machine is locked (can't remember the exact policy atm though)

Thank Post
    Good stuff - looks exactly like the functionality which should have been present and means, as you say, we don't need to enable FUS! I'll definately be trying this out as we get countless requests every week to unlock Win7!

Thank Post
    Excellent, thanks for the post, this is very useful

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    The other option is to disable the option to switch user through Group Policy - this then reverts to the Windows XP behaviour of logging the user off if the machine is locked (can't remember the exact policy atm though)
    I can only find how to do this under local computer policy - does anyone know if you can do it from the server so it affects all computers? I don't have local admins (yet!) so the other method isn't any good to me. The problem is when a teacher leaves their laptop locked (because I told them to!) and then leaves for whatever reason,the cover person cannot get into their laptop which they need as it is connected to the whiteboard

Thank Post
    Just installed it and tried it - works great! Definately will recommend - thanks for the heads up timbo!

Thank Post
    Enable fast user switching so if someone locks their login other people can simply login as another user.

Thank Post
    Fast user switching has worked for this here - but the other bonus is with AB Tutor Control, it just bludgeons its way through anyway. If you click Logoff, it'll do as it says - no matter what's stopping it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I can only find how to do this under local computer policy - does anyone know if you can do it from the server so it affects all computers? I don't have local admins (yet!) so the other method isn't any good to me. The problem is when a teacher leaves their laptop locked (because I told them to!) and then leaves for whatever reason,the cover person cannot get into their laptop which they need as it is connected to the whiteboard
    Hmmmm, I've just check the computer and it's not showing the option to unlock it so I either imaginged it or somethings changed - sorry. :/

If you want to disable the Fast User Switching option though it's under:

Administrative Templates - System - Logon - Hide entry points for Fast User Switching

(done from Server 2008 R2)
    Last edited by Cache; 20th October 2011 at 08:39 PM.

15. Thanks to Cache from:

witch (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only just found this i am impressed. I shall be giving this a try on my test setup and i know of a school that would find this useful.

Thank Post
    Nice piece of software, works well with my Ncomputing lab

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast