+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Student Directory Restrictions in Technical; Hi, I am just setting up restrictions on student directories and was wondering what the maximum space you have given ...

Thank Post

Post Student Directory Restrictions

Hi,

I am just setting up restrictions on student directories and was wondering what the maximum space you have given to students. I was thinking 50MB however have a few students with more so though 100MB.

Also how have you set your restrictions I am using FSRM.

Your opinions please.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Depends what they are going to be storing, at the college as standard profiles we use 50MB but the students who do alot of design work and photoshop stuff we give them 1GB and if they run out then we up it to 2GB.

Usually students that don't do alot of design and just use the machines for word processing we give them 50MB it seems to be more than enough, all the tutors get 1GB.

Thank Post
    See I am struggling abit as I have some students with 200MB of files in their area. This is a primary school and feel there is no need for them to have this much data.

I have teachers with 10GB of data and because there has been no restrictions before I came they have just saved and saved. I don't know how I am going to get teachers down, I have asked them to clear up space but this has made no difference :S

Thank Post
    I had a real headache with this. The main reason for such high file sizes was uncompressed .bmp files generated from paint when the kids were bored and images in powerpoint, again not compressed. Once I had deleted/compressed these I gave a quota for each year based on the following:

Year 7 35Mb
    Year 8 40Mb
    Year 9 50Mb
    Year 10 75Mb
    Year 11 110Mb

These seem small however with win 7 most file sizes are fairly small and paint no longer saves in .bmp by default. Occasionally I need to increase these limits for graphics students and I always need to increase if they are doing graphics and ict but it keeps the server space at a relative constant.

Currently no limit for staff however I am looking to implement something if we go with a moodle vle as most of their docs can be stored there as course content.

Thank Post
    Wow, you guys make me feel better. I've got 1.25GB of space per student then two seperate areas for those doing Art (about 300GB in total) for them to save just their arty work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    IIRC it's 1.2GB for KS3,KS4 and 2GB for KS5

Thank Post
    Your all lucky, I have many staff with over 15GB of stuff ina home drive, though I will be sorting this out.

Our students also abuse the home drives to much because fo poor IT staff in the past not setting rules. This is now being fixed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread