+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Logon scripts not running in Technical; We're in the process of introducing Windows 7 in our school. Most of the initial problems seem to have been ...

Thank Post

Logon scripts not running

We're in the process of introducing Windows 7 in our school. Most of the initial problems seem to have been ironed out, but we're left with one stumbling block that we don't seem to be able to resolve: Login scripts don't run for users who aren't local administrators.

We are using traditional .bat files to map a few drives and import printer settings. It works fine as an administrator bit not as a normal user. If a standard user logs on, the scripts can be executed manually and all is well, but they don't run as part of the logon process.

We've tried the "EnableLinkedConnections" registry fix but that doesn't seem to make any difference. We've tried specifying and locating the scripts within group policies and the netlogon share, but again, nothing seems to work.

We'd like to avoid the possibly inevitabale workaround of making students local administrators, but can't find any alternative solutions at present. Has anyone else experience this and found a solution?

*Edit: we have also turned off User access control
    Last edited by AnnDroyd; 4th October 2011 at 03:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Make sure the following policy is set correctly:

Policies > User Config > Admin Templates > System - Prevent access to the command prompt - Enabled and then specify No to 'Disable the command prompt script processing also?'

I would also look at deploying network drives and printers via GPO. It works well when it's setup Have a look here

Thank Post
    Unfortunately I've already ruled out anything to do with policy restrictions. Moving a test user into an OU with no restrictions applied doesn't work. However, making the same user a local admin, even with the same policies applied does work.
    Even if I could get round the drive mapping problem, we still need the scripts to run for other things.

Thank Post
    Could you post an example of your script?

The only scripts I use in my Windows 7/2008 R2 domains are Startup scripts for deploying wireless settings and to check/install anti-virus software if it's not there and that's it. Everything else is GPO.

Thank Post
    The only other GPO I can think of is:

Policies > Computer Config > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment - Log on as a batch job

Thank Post
    Yes, here you go:

net use n: \\server1\users\students\%username% /persistent:no
    net use o: \\server3\applications /persistent:no
    NET TIME \\server4 /SET /YES

if exist \\server4\netlogon\screenres\%computername%.bat call \\server4\netlogon\screenres\%computername%.bat
    if not exist \\server4\netlogon\screenres\%computername%.bat call \\server4\netlogon\screenres\default.bat

reg delete "HKCU\printers\connections" /f
    if exist \\server4\netlogon\printers\%computername%.reg regedit /s \\server4\netlogon\printers\%computername%.reg
    if not exist \\server4\netlogon\printers\%computername%.reg regedit /s \\server4\netlogon\printers\allprinters.reg

Thank Post
    Well net time needs admin but net use should be ok

Is UAC on if so might be worth testing with it off

Thank Post
    The script looks OK to me also, but clearly Windows doesn't like something. I noticed however that you have what appears to be 4 servers. Are all these DCs as I wonder if it's a possible DNS issue.

Most (from what I can see) of what you have in your script could be achieved by GPO. Presumably you control everything else with GPOs, so it makes sense drive maps and printers are deployed this way too.

The only part I am unsure about is your screenres code, which I presume is setting the resolution at logon?

As you have three paragraphs of script, try experimenting and run each paragraph in turn. Does Windows still not process on all three?

Thank Post
    We seem to have sorted this by putting the logon scripts in the profile in the start menu>programs>startup folder. Not an ideal solution, but it gets it working without having to make everyone local admins.

Thank Post
    What about putting it in the NETLOGON folder and in each user profile specifying it in there?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    What about putting it in the NETLOGON folder and in each user profile specifying it in there?
    When you say specifying it in the profile, do you mean by creating a shortcut? If so, I tried that, but you get a security messages asking you if you want to run the file. By putting the script itself there, you don't get any warnings.

Thank Post
    Sorry in AD on the profile tab I think it is you can specify a login script, so if you dump it in the NETLOGON folder and its called user.bat just type in user.bat

Thank Post
    Hi

You can map drives through group policy see Using Group Policy Preferences to Map Drives Based on Group Membership - Ask the Directory Services Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Time servers can be set in gpo see Setting the Authoritative Time Server on the PDC Emulator Using Group Policy

Scripts to set resolution can be put in startup scripts linked the room ou.

Printers can be deployed in gpo with print management and if you have a windows 2008 domain you can set the default printer. see Print Management Step-by-Step Guide

I hope this helps.

Richard

Thank Post
    Hi

I have had another thought do the students have the right to run scripts and edit the registry. Both of these can be disabled in gpo.

Are there any clues in the eventlog?

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    Sorry in AD on the profile tab I think it is you can specify a login script, so if you dump it in the NETLOGON folder and its called user.bat just type in user.bat
    I see what you mean. Yes, I tried that as well, and the scripts still didn't run!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast