+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 clients dropping off the domain in Technical; Hey guys, first post and all.. Ok it's happening in plenty of schools and its been happening since we started ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 clients dropping off the domain

Hey guys, first post and all..

Ok it's happening in plenty of schools and its been happening since we started the rollout of windows 7, we havnt yet found a resolution for this...

We setup a new IT suite, Windows 7 and Server 2003/2008.. A week later we'll get a call saying that the users cannot log in..

So, off we go and come across a PC just sat there with our username as the only user account on the Pc and it looks like it was never joined to the domain..

All of the software that the server had pushed out is still there, the AV software is still there... The computer account is still in AD, yet the computer is not on the domain..

We have static IPs, No DHCP leases from the servers
    Computers are OEM Dell windows 7 pro (Never imaged)

Has anyone else seen anything like this?
    Ive tried searching all over the net but nothing at all on this happening anywhere

Thank Post
    do the pcs have realtek network cards by any chance and do you get a trust related error upon trying to logon

other than that if its oem dell is someone running the restore to factory option they sometimes have on the boot screens ive had that with hps i just diddnt notice the option myself

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Are you running Windows 7 SP1?

Why haven't you imaged the machines out of curiosity? It's a known fact all OEMs install rubbish you do not want or need.

Is the problem restricted to just these Dell workstations?

Can your users access the context menu on 'Computer'?

Thank Post
    infact whats the event log look like (might be worth just looking at dates see if there are any suspicios gaps oor evern any obvious errors or another possibility some kid has got hold of the local admin password and is using that to take them off the domain (which can be done quite happily without ad credentials and that would leave the account still there)

Thank Post
    You don't need any username or password to leave the domain and join a workgroup. If your users can access the context menu on 'Computer', I suspect this is the problem.

Thank Post
    Thankyou for the responses
    do the pcs have realtek network cards by any chance and do you get a trust related error upon trying to logon
    All the new Dells appear to come with broadcom cards and the trust error has occasionally happened but its not actually that issue..

Are you running Windows 7 SP1?

Why haven't you imaged the machines out of curiosity? It's a known fact all OEMs install rubbish you do not want or need.

Is the problem restricted to just these Dell workstations?

Can your users access the context menu on 'Computer'?
    Yes we do have SP1, its preinstalled and we allow for WSUS to update to SP1
    The reason we havn't imaged is due to the variety of hardware we have, we are still evaluating viable imaging solutions.
    And yes, we only use Dell systems

whats the event log look like
    In every instance, the event viewer has had literally nothing. I suspect it would be system restore, but there is nothing in the eventviewer at all about this.. We also have a GPO that disables system restore, but this was initially inteded for XP..

If your users can access the context menu on 'Computer'
    Pupil accounts do not have access to the context menu's but the teacher accounts do.. I can see how this is possible if a pupil has gained access to a teacher account. But they wouldn't just do it to one computer would they? they would do it to every PC they could log into..

This one seems to have got us all stumped as it is happening so randomly, always one pc at a time, they never fall over in waves..

Thank Post
    The reason we havn't imaged is due to the variety of hardware we have, we are still evaluating viable imaging solutions.
    Windows 7 is pretty good when it comes to imaging. I've used the same image on many different types of hardware, so gone are the days when you need to create an image per make/model. Windows 7 also has an excellent driver database and detects most hardware automatically.

Back to your problem, I can only speculate someone is doing this deliberately as I've not come across this problem before. Staff also shouldn't need to access to the context menu on 'Computer'. I would explore this and then see if the problem magically stops.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Windows 7 is pretty good when it comes to imaging. I've used the same image on many different types of hardware, so gone are the days when you need to create an image per make/model. Windows 7 also has an excellent driver database and detects most hardware automatically.

Back to your problem, I can only speculate someone is doing this deliberately as I've not come across this problem before. Staff also shouldn't need to access to the context menu on 'Computer'. I would explore this and then see if the problem magically stops.
    Same here. We are using WinPe and ImageX to create images and deploy them.

Thank Post
    We have used winPE and imageX to image multiple computers of an identical specification in the past, it works well. But it does drag the network down so dramatically..
    Doing that opened up a whole can of worms that I wont go into, but none of those PC's did the issue of what I am originally describing.

It's a very strange problem, its 1/30 new PC's setup and always happens within the first week of them being installed. It's a simple fix, just re join them to the domain..
    But trying to find out a reason as to why is somewhat difficult, it just seems to be us with the problem?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slugshead View Post
    We have used winPE and imageX to image multiple computers of an identical specification in the past, it works well. But it does drag the network down so dramatically..
    Doing that opened up a whole can of worms that I wont go into, but none of those PC's did the issue of what I am originally describing.

It's a very strange problem, its 1/30 new PC's setup and always happens within the first week of them being installed. It's a simple fix, just re join them to the domain..
    But trying to find out a reason as to why is somewhat difficult, it just seems to be us with the problem?
    if you have 08r2 server you can decrease the network load and use multicast to deploy images

Thank Post
    Try disabling IPV6? Is reverse DNS working?

Thank Post
    Try disabling IPV6? Is reverse DNS working?
    Yes IPv6 is disabled in our build instructons
    Yes reverse DNS works in each school this has happened

Thank Post
    I have had the same issue and it turns out this was caused by windows recovery or repair.

Cause
    Students power off eachothers machines as a joke or the battery's get pulled off causing windows to shutdown unexpectedly. Windows then decises it needs to run a repair and restores old files from a restore point.

When windows restores some of these files it restores and old machine account password. Machine account passwords are changed every 30 days by the client not the server. So when the computer is finished repairing and tries to join the domain with an old machine account password and windows then rejects the client and its all over.

Solution
    To fix it you can disable automatic machine account password changes on all machines in the network. Note this will not be an instant fix if the machine has been on the domain for 30 days without a restore point set.

Instructions
    Start Registry Editor. To do so, click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Netlogon\Parameters
    In the right pane, click the
    DisablePasswordChange
    entry.
    On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type a value of 1, and then click OK.
    Quit Registry Editor.

Thats from microsoft but its my first post so i cant post the link. Just google it.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If that's the problem (which it probably is), I'd be more inclined to disable System Restore instead of changing the default inner workings of AD. Machine accounts changing their passwords every 30 days is for security.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You don't need any username or password to leave the domain and join a workgroup.
    They would need to be a local admin as well, wouldn't they?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast