+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Slow Logon, any way to speed it up! in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Slow Logon, any way to speed it up!

Logon time is so slow our staff use local profiles and it take over 2 minutes to login, the students use roaming profiles which take about 40 seconds, i was speaking to someone who says that they should be a lot faster than this, has anyone got any ideas on how to speed them up, is there any windows 7 settings or group policy things i can try... i have already tried a few but itís good to try them again to make sure that i have done them correctly

Many Thanks

Nick
    Network Manager

Thank Post
    There are options to disable things in the system settings such as option to disable displaying recovery options and time to list other operating systems. Right click on my computer and then go to properties, then click on the advanced tab, then click on settings in the startup/recovery section.

Thank Post
    Thanks, however this would just speedup the startup of the machine which i have got down to about 10-15 seconds (Depending on the machine)

Thank Post
    Apologies, I thought this was what you were after doing.

Thank Post
    2 minutes! I'd kill for 2 minute logon speeds, we're currently getting anything up to 40 minutes!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    2 minutes! I'd kill for 2 minute logon speeds, we're currently getting anything up to 40 minutes!!!
    Are you using local profiles, i found that originally my default local profile was 800Mb and of course it was having to copy that across for all the staff i had it longer than 2 minutes and staff get impatient when it doesnt pop up stright away, so i stripped the default away as much as i could and got it down to 260Mb student laptops can take about 20 minutes but i fear that may be a wireless problem. (and the roaming profile is about 70Mb)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frut02 View Post
    Are you using local profiles, i found that originally my default local profile was 800Mb and of course it was having to copy that across for all the staff i had it longer than 2 minutes and staff get impatient when it doesnt pop up stright away, so i stripped the default away as much as i could and got it down to 260Mb student laptops can take about 20 minutes but i fear that may be a wireless problem. (and the roaming profile is about 70Mb)
    Thanks for the suggestion (I didn't mean to steal your thread, so sorry about that, I do already have a thread open on this and I'm working through suggestions now). We use roaming profiles for staff and mandatory profiles for students. Students are reasonable login times of a minute or two, but it's staff where the problem lies. Profiles are set to be no bigger than 100mb.

Thank Post
    I've come across the number of Group Policy Objects a user needs to process and WMI Filters as factors in slow logon. You need to try to rationalise/reduce the number of policies a user processes. Also disable Computer Configuration in policies which apply to users and disable User Configuration in policies that apply to computers.

Chilbs

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Turn on verbose messaging and see what part is holding it up.
    Do you deploy any printers when they login?
    HP universals had a driver issue where it would add an age to logins per printer using the driver.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Turn on verbose messaging and see what part is holding it up.
    Do you deploy any printers when they login?
    HP universals had a driver issue where it would add an age to logins per printer using the driver.
    Wow thanks for that, that much better, it gives the illusion that the student login are logging in quicker, thats great, so i logged in a staff member and it hung on "Please wait fir the user profile service" for the majority of the 3-4 minutes that it took to login, once it was passed that it was less than 10 sewconds to displaying the desktop..

Thank Post
    Hi the users have 2 policies that run with user config only and 1 that runs for the machine

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frut02 View Post
    Wow thanks for that, that much better, it gives the illusion that the student login are logging in quicker, thats great, so i logged in a staff member and it hung on "Please wait fir the user profile service" for the majority of the 3-4 minutes that it took to login, once it was passed that it was less than 10 sewconds to displaying the desktop..
    At my last place we turned it on so at least users felt something was going on and if any part was particularly slow users could report it to us. That delay seems like profile size as an issue, I would look at using folder redirection to get around that problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread