+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Power problems in Technical; I'm (attempting) to set the power options on my machine via GPP . I decided the simpliest way to do ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Power problems

I'm (attempting) to set the power options on my machine via GPP.

I decided the simpliest way to do this was to modify the "balanced" power plan. So I've set the policy for the PC's so that the monitors switch off after 5 minutes (as well as a couple of other things, ticked the box to make it the active power plan and set it to Update. I then modifed the settings for the teachers (users) so that when they login it changes the timeout to 120 minuts (the dutration of a double lesson) and again set it to update the balanced plan and ticked the active power plan box.

When I log in as a teacher the setting are corect if I view the power options, yet Win7 seems to totally ignore them and switch the monitors off after 5 minutes.

Any Suggestions?

Thank Post
    I have noticed that when deploying power settings to machines that they are created on the first restart, but not made active until the second restart. This could be a similar situation with your issue, logging on as two different people in successtion will change the profile, but not activate it.

Alternatively one policy is overriding the other, 5minutes being the winner.
    Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It sounds to me you've set it to 5 minutes on Computer Config and 120 minutes on User Config.

No matter what the policy is on Computer Config, it'll always take priority. This has been the case ever since Group Policy was born with Windows 2000.

You should only set the policy on User Config (in your case), so different users get different results. Setting it on Computer Config, all users get the same results.

Thank Post
    Yes well I thought that but I thouhgt that was only the case for policies not Preferences which are slightly different.

Especially as when you actually look at the settings they say, monitor off after 120 minutes then the PC totally ignores them.

Thank Post
    Just an update I've been doing some testing...

It doesn't appear to be a case of the PC setting overiding the User. It actually seems to be a case of the preference settings higher up my OU structure being used rather than one's lower down (regardless of what the PC says).

For example the monitor time out on the machine is set to 5 Min. The student time out is set to 10 minutes. The teachers is set to 120. the PC's are in their OU. All the students are in the seperate users OU with a GP assigned, the teachers are in a sub OU of the users OU with additional settings defined to alter my main policy for staff. When I log in as a teacher my monitor switches off after 10 minutes despite saying that it will go off after 120.

Excellent.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread