+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, General Profile Weirdness in Technical; This is not a major problem, but about once a week I get a student through the door with a ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

General Profile Weirdness

This is not a major problem, but about once a week I get a student through the door with a corrupted profile. They can log in, but no redirections occur. Once this has happened the profile is not recoverable.

Windows 7 with individual roaming profiles (we are a special school and several students have specific settings, so mandatory profiles were seen as a pain).

The fix is to delete the profile on the server, delete the locally stored profile on the machine and then log back in and let it rebuild.

I was thinking that there may be a rogue machine out there that is causing this, but my logs don't point at any particular machine :-(

Any one got any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @Mr.Ben:

Are your users restricted to a single login at one time on the domain?

If not this could be a problem when they are logged into more than one workstation, this can cause a corruption of the profile on write back to the server also if you have disk quotas set and they have run out of allocated space this too can corrupt the write back of the profile to the server.

Its one of those things which if you keep an eye on quotas and restrict logins should keep it to a minimum.

Happy trails

3. Thanks to bossman from:

Mr.Ben (27th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You may have hit the nail on the head there, I haven't looked at limiting concurrent sessions on 2k8r2 yet, as the software I had for it needs some attention to upgrade it. I may now have a business case :-)

I came across the quota problem in testing W7, so I now have 2 shares, 1 for profiles (.v2 folders) and one for all of the redirected folders. That way I can put quotas on the redirected folders (including appdata), but the V2 folder can have it's own quota (30MB), the only thing stored in there is NTUser.dat and some empty folders.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread