+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 login in Technical; Hi Everyone I have just started getting ready to move all machines over to windows 7 and started making the ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 login

Hi Everyone

I have just started getting ready to move all machines over to windows 7 and started making the gpo's but noticed once i join a computer to the domain that the windows 7 login picture frame is just blank. I have done a bit of research and seen that you would need to go through tweaking .dll file before I could set this to be a permanent image (for talk sake our schools logo) does anyone know of any other way that I could set our schools logo to be the permanent image

Thank Post
    The generic way (without breaking EULA) is just cheating, and putting a large background (on logon screen) with the school image centred over the box so it looks like it's in it

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hi Everyone

I have just started getting ready to move all machines over to windows 7 and started making the gpo's but noticed once i join a computer to the domain that the windows 7 login picture frame is just blank. I have done a bit of research and seen that you would need to go through tweaking .dll file before I could set this to be a permanent image (for talk sake our schools logo) does anyone know of any other way that I could set our schools logo to be the permanent image
    not sure if this will work but could be worth a try - replace the default images on the C: drive (like the flower etc) which it automatically pics with your school logo?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    not sure if this will work but could be worth a try - replace the default images on the C: drive (like the flower etc) which it automatically pics with your school logo?
    That only works if you have a group policy set to remember last logged on user.
    If you have last logged on user set, and also enable “Apply the default user logon picture to all users”
    You can copy a school logo to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures and replace the user.bmp (Make sure your new user image is .bmp format, 128x128 and no more than 56kb (I think) in size)
    This will give the logo to all users when they log on, but on the login screen it will only be shown if you have remember last logged on user set.

If you don’t have last logged on user remembered and want the image on the login screen box you need to do one of Steve's suggestions.

Thank Post
    I've set them to be blank, there's a setting in GPO to do this, I think... Also using the "apply the default picture...".
    Then we change the default background to be one we've made specially, although we've had to make individual ones for each screen resolution.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The better option for the background is to use the defaultBackground.jpg in C:\Windows\System32\OOBE\Info route works really well.

Use it on all my machines, and you can deal with it all by GPO too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    The better option for the background is to use the defaultBackground.jpg in C:\Windows\System32\OOBE\Info route works really well.

Use it on all my machines, and you can deal with it all by GPO too.

only works if you have sae screen res throughout

Thank Post
    I believe you can put multiple files in that folder and specify the resolution, such as

backgroundDefault.jpg
    background1280x1024.jpg
    background1920x1080.jpg

I use that to set my login background and also change the default user image in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures to set everyone’s user account image to the schools logo.

Thank Post
    thanks for the replies everyone I will give it a go and see if it works as i said i am still in the testing of windows 7 before deploying it out.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have our badge insterted at the top of the Start Menu for a logged on user and on the login page of a locked station. However our badge does not show when no user is logged on. Our screens look a bit like this [picture below]

[Except we have Professional not ultimate]

Also I find that I cannot change defaultBackground.jpg in C:\Windows\System32\OOBE\ as the permissions that are currently set will not allow the domain administrator to make that change. Before I go and add new permissions in places where they do not exist currently I would like to check if I am taking the right approach?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @ihaveaproblem - you are right - fill that folder with the various screen res that you have name the files backgrounddefault*screenres*.jpg. Use your favorite picture editor to set the image resolutions.

You dont change the main backgroundDefault. You create an info folder in the oobe folder, and a background folder in the info folder - then put all the images in there. Then you need to change a registry key.Browse to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Window\sCurrentVersion\Aut hentication\Logon\UIBackground , double click on key named OEMBackground and change its value to 1 (If you cannot find the path or the key go ahead and create it, remember OEMBackground is a Dword)

Note, this is fully supported by Microsoft too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK. I can now set the logon screen wallpaper. However I am left with the empty frame that would normally carry the user logged on user-picture that sits above the username and password boxes:

Does anyone know how to remove this?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

Does anyone know how to remove this?

Thanks.
    To remove the box I believe it involves editing a .dll file and that’s breaks the EULA so not recommended.
    Other solutions are

1) Have remember last logged in user set and then the user account image shows
    2) Place the user account image on the login background and ensure it's the correct reso and then it will appear as if it's inside the box.

14. Thanks to ihaveaproblem from:

DaveP (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    To remove the box I believe it involves editing a .dll file and thatís breaks the EULA so not recommended.
    Other solutions are

1) Have remember last logged in user set and then the user account image shows
    2) Place the user account image on the login background and ensure it's the correct reso and then it will appear as if it's inside the box.
    None of the other solutions are suitable for us. I won't be editing the dll so I guess I will leave it as it is. It doesn't look too bad but I think it would have been improved by the removal of the box.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I do think that Microsoft need to release some updated GPOs for Windows 7, as this is a good example of something which was forgotten about. It isn't realistic to starting messing around with .dll files when you have hundreds of machines.

The problem is well discussed on the web and knowing Microsoft they'll tell us to 'upgrade' to Windows 8

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast