+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Office documents "becoming" .tmp files in Technical; Hi, I'm not sure if this is in the correct place or not. I'm having an issue when some students ...

Thank Post

Office documents "becoming" .tmp files

Hi, I'm not sure if this is in the correct place or not.

I'm having an issue when some students are saving their work (a word document for example). The teacher has assured me that they have saved it correctly and that they've seen the file on their documents area. However when they come back to load the document it has "changed" into a temp file with a random name. This isn't the usual Word temporary files it's a non-hidden file which is exactly the same size as the original file. For example a user had a file called 8.4aal.docx and the next time she logged on and went to find it there was a file called 3D14CA7F.tmp in it's place which was exactly the same size as the other file. Has anyone had any experiences like this or has any suggestions.

I'm running Server 2008 R2 and Server 2003 with Windows 7 Enterprise desktops.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    We're currently having the same problem across Teachers and students.
    Running Server 2008 R2. Happens on windows 7 machines running either office 2007 or office 2010.
    Doesn't seem to happen on the XP machines running office 2007 though.

Not got to the bottom of it yet. Seen a suggestion that it might be anti-virus not letting office finish the save process properly so about to test that.

Thank Post
    Not sure if this will help but we had an issue with with word not saving properly and left the normal .tmp files but the files could not be used to recover the document. Seems that the issue happens when the user saves.

What seemed to fix it for us as to unhide the home directory and libraries. The accounts that were having an issue were highly locked down accounts and had everything hidden or locked, home directories were hidden and libraries stripped off.

Havent had a problem since I i restored the libraries and the home directory is now visible.

Thank Post
    does it still happen if they dont use . as part of the filename as ive had that cause issues before

Thank Post
    Sorry to drag up and old thread but we've got this but only for 1 user (as far as we know) we use hidden home directories so I would have thought it would apply to all users? There seems to be no odd chars in the filename either. But I have found random number.tmp instead of correct word doc files.

Is making the home directory visible a permanent solution? And does anyone know why we would only just had this error occur?
    Last edited by penfold; 16th October 2012 at 12:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I can't for the life of me remember how this got fixed. I've got a funny feeling that it was one of those things that just fixed itself. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    There was some malware sometime ago which encrypted files and gave them random usernames and extensions like you describe.

Thank Post
    OK, I'll run a scan now and see if it comes up with anything but if you rename the .tmp file you are able to open up the files in word (after a prompt to recover) and it seems like all the data is there.

Thank Post
    To be honest it sounds like Office 2007 saving .tmp files over VPN and WAN link but we seem to be having it for Office 2010 and it's effecting desktops in our Labs. Although it only seems to be reported by 1 user. I'm going to run a scan for .tmp files to see if it is more widespread but not been reported to see if I can find something common.

Thank Post
    I've got this again with one user. I can't do anything with the .tmp file either. If I try to load it I either get pages and pages of blankness (although the word count it correct) or I get a message saying the file is corrupt, this is either opening the tmp file or if I change the extension. Any ideas if there's any way of opening the file?

Thank Post
    Did you get anywhere with this? I have users experiencing the same thing.

Thank Post
    Sadly not. The last user I had it with was due to have a new PC and since the new PC it's been fine. Her old machine was pretty old and only had a 100Mb network connection so it could have been the slow network connection thing mentioned above, although that wouldn't explain the original occurance which seemingly fixed itself. I've not had it on any other machines since fingers crossed.

Thank Post
    We're having this problem with several users too. Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 Professional Plus on the client side.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast