+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Logged on with temporary profile in Technical; Hi, I've posted something similar to this before but as yet still haven't found a solution that I understand so ...
    Thank Post

Logged on with temporary profile

Hi,

I've posted something similar to this before but as yet still haven't found a solution that I understand so i'm going to try again. In school we have a server running 2003 but now recently we've upped all our machines to Windows 7. Since doing this whenever a user logs onto the system it logs them on with a temporary profile. The confusing thing for me is that it doesn't seem to do it on some of the other Win7 machines we have...

The staff don't use profiles to log in and it even does it with those but again- only on certain computers. The students have a profile and i've noticed that a .v2 folder has been created for those so i also wanted to know how to transfer the profile settings from the XP profile to the Win 7 profile.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Tried this and it doesn't seem to have any effect... Any other solutions?? It's driving me nutty.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you checked out the event log for anny realivant errors?

Thank Post
    What happens if you dissalow logging on with a temp profile

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    This sounds daft I know but are you sure that they actually are logged on with a temporary profile? Some of mine say that and yet the person logged on can see all the shared drives on the server and save successfully to their user area on the server. I've never worked it out

Thank Post
    Don't suppose there are any more suggestions here are there? I'm having the same issue, only with 2008R2.

It's only with certain machines for all users as well. I have check network connections and they are fine, I have also vanilla'd the machine, tried removing and readding it to the domain, etc etc. When I log on with the problem users elsewhere, it works fine.

I tried the "Do not log users on with a temporary profile" option, but this just means the user doesn't get the chance to log on. In fact, the only users able to log on are any members of the Technician Team (I can say team now, there's 2 of us! lol) as they are added to Local Administrative Group via GPP, and any member of the local admin group on the machine itself.

So .. HELP!?

Thank Post
    You haven't happened to have ghosted or cloned the troubled machines have you? I've been thinking that now... When we got our new systems I imaged them all- just wondering if something bad happened to the registry on them during the process

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is the network using any kind of authentication like 802.11x that might be locking out the network connection till after a user has logged in?

Can you disable the firewall on a faulty machine temporarily, reboot it then ping it from another station before loging on?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Is the network using any kind of authentication like 802.11x that might be locking out the network connection till after a user has logged in?

Can you disable the firewall on a faulty machine temporarily, reboot it then ping it from another station before loging on?
    Hmmm...never thought about the firewall. Do you think it's necessary for PC's to have the local firewall turned on if they're connecting through a proxy server?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Hmmm...never thought about the firewall. Do you think it's necessary for PC's to have the local firewall turned on if they're connecting through a proxy server?
    Yes, they should always have the firewall on unless you are specificly testing something. Leaving it off even behind a proxy opens up the machines to worms and other kinds of viruses that could be brought in. The firewall is usually the difference between one infected machine and a whole network of them. Just look at Conflickter.

Thank Post
    Are you using roaming profiles? Are there any eventlog errors? what happens with new users that never had a profile? does this effect all users but only on certain computers?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    You haven't happened to have ghosted or cloned the troubled machines have you? I've been thinking that now... When we got our new systems I imaged them all- just wondering if something bad happened to the registry on them during the process
    It was a totally clean machine. I always build fresh images to make sure that there's no lurking nasties before imaging them and firing them out. I am, over the next week, going to be building the next image so it might be that I try with that and hold off until.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post

The only authentication is for Wireless using RADIUS, nothing for Wired machines and these are all wired machines.

Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Are you using roaming profiles? Are there any eventlog errors? what happens with new users that never had a profile? does this effect all users but only on certain computers?
    For me, it's all users on specific machines. I've tried setting up new users and it doesn't work, as well as logging on with myself. I get logged on with a temp profile but with admin rights, so it's picking up the various GPP/GPO that I've set.

Thank Post
    And were there any eventlog errors?

Thank Post
    Try deleting local profile renaming profile on the network share and then try synacks solution. works for me every time
    hth
    Last edited by p3dr0; 6th October 2011 at 03:11 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread