+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Windows 7 Thread, Locking down the desktop in Technical; Hello, I am currently looking for a way to lockdown the Windows desktop to only allow shortcuts to be created ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    264
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Locking down the desktop

    Hello,

    I am currently looking for a way to lockdown the Windows desktop to only allow shortcuts to be created by the user. Is there a simple way to achieve this?

    This is to help control the size of the user profile. Have already looked at the desktop redirection idea, but that doesn't really suit our needs

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,578
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 853 Times in 732 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    bit of a long way round but if you install file server resource manager you could block teh creation or everything but .url/.lnk files in specific folders but unless you redirect the desktop folder to something like \\server\desktops$\%username% would be a total pita to implement

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    67
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    I looked into this exact thing as I wanted our staff to have a default desktop (which they couldn't remove icons from), but have the ability to add and delete their own shortcuts. I couldn't find any reasonable way around it in the end so I just went with a shared desktop that they can't edit. It's not ideal but it works for now.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    264
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    thanks for the replies - seems there isn't an ideal way of achieving this :-(

    Looked at the resource manager, but i guess that just stops the upload and not the creation?

  5. #5
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,450
    Thank Post
    349
    Thanked 255 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyPitch View Post
    I looked into this exact thing as I wanted our staff to have a default desktop (which they couldn't remove icons from), but have the ability to add and delete their own shortcuts. I couldn't find any reasonable way around it in the end so I just went with a shared desktop that they can't edit. It's not ideal but it works for now.
    I'd slightly disagree and say that is the ideal way

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,578
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 853 Times in 732 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    thanks for the replies - seems there isn't an ideal way of achieving this :-(

    Looked at the resource manager, but i guess that just stops the upload and not the creation?
    nope if you block say all .mp3 files it wont allow a file with that extension to be copied/moved/created in the folder(s) you specify i mainly use it to stop win7 creating desktop.ini files so i can find users home areas

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    264
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    nope if you block say all .mp3 files it wont allow a file with that extension to be copied/moved/created in the folder(s) you specify i mainly use it to stop win7 creating desktop.ini files so i can find users home areas
    Excuse my ignorance, but if the File Resource Manager service lives on the server, how does it prevent the user creating files on their local desktop? Does it mean the server is in contant communication with the device? or that it downloads the "rules" from the server upon logon?

  8. #8

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,642
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but if the File Resource Manager service lives on the server, how does it prevent the user creating files on their local desktop? Does it mean the server is in contant communication with the device? or that it downloads the "rules" from the server upon logon?
    You'd have to team it with a redirected desktop for each user. Why wouldn't redirected desktops work for you?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    264
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You'd have to team it with a redirected desktop for each user. Why wouldn't redirected desktops work for you?
    In all honesty it's probably due to lack of understanding.

    What would happen to the user desktop if the user wasn't connected to the network? what would get loaded? would it simply load the icons from the local copy of the "sync'd" folder that was redirected?

    Does this rely on roaming profile at all? as we have disabled romaing profiles for anyone using a desktop device

  10. #10

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,642
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    In all honesty it's probably due to lack of understanding.

    What would happen to the user desktop if the user wasn't connected to the network? what would get loaded? would it simply load the icons from the local copy of the "sync'd" folder that was redirected?

    Does this rely on roaming profile at all? as we have disabled romaing profiles for anyone using a desktop device
    The redirected desktop gets synced over, so when they weren't on the system it would use the cached version. It does not rely on roaming profiles.

    This school has redirected desktops, application data and my documents for all users, staff and pupils. They have no issues at all with it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. LOcking down the desktop
    By Brono in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th January 2010, 11:59 AM
  2. Locking down OSX clients in AD domain
    By u8dmtm in forum Mac
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th March 2007, 05:04 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6th December 2006, 10:26 AM
  4. Hyperlinks built into the desktop background
    By Pottsey in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th October 2006, 02:30 PM
  5. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 14th November 2005, 08:27 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •