+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 64 bit Home drives not accessible in Technical; Hi ive just deployed 32 new machines with windows 7 64bit. The problem is that students logging in cannot access ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 64 bit Home drives not accessible

Hi ive just deployed 32 new machines with windows 7 64bit. The problem is that students logging in cannot access the H: which is their own drive. Error message appears stating "H: is not accessible or disc is disconnected. The weird thing is it only happens to a few machines for every user, but if they jump onto another machine they can access their home drive and get on with their work.

Machines HP 3130 sff
    windows 7 64 bit pre installed
    server 2008 r2

Thank Post
    I've had a very similar problem.
    Win 7 Enterprise 32 bit, Server 2008 R2

It's like this for me

1) Only occured on certain computers ( Laptops and desktops, Completely random )
    2) Effects all student users that log in saying their home mapped drive is not accessible or disconnected. ( If a member of staff logs in they can access their home mapped drive without a problem )

Is rather annoying because as of yet I've not been able to figure the cause of this. Permissions are set correctly because if a student logs onto a different computer they can access their home drive fine, so it has to be a computer specific problem.
    Only solution I have is to reimage the computer and after that all mine with this problem have been fine. Would be nice to know whats causing this though.

Thank Post
    exact same problem, Re imaging / MDTing the machine helps but then sometimes it appears on another machine.
    When loghging in as admin and try to accss \\server\share$ where the users h drive is on it says access denied. BUT the permissions are allowed, it can do it from another machine!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Are you deploying network drives via GPO or a script? I would recommend GPO with Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Using scripts here for all drives apart from the user home network area. I tested mapping the drive using GPP on an affected computer but the problem still persisted.
    I'm also getting a problem where students loose access to the redirected start menu and desktop on some laptops. Again it seems to be computer specific because any student who logs into that computer can’t access the redirect, but if they log into a 'working' computer that’s not affected by this problem the redirect works perfectly fine for them.
    Again a reimage of the laptop fixes this...Would like to know what’s causing it though if anyone has some suggestions

Thank Post
    I'm going to give this a wee bump - any ideas?
    It's a strange one which I still can't figure out. Only a re-image seems to get shot of it which definitely isn't the answer.

Thank Post
    Yep i find re imaging solves the problem, ive recently had a similar problem on some of our Samsung laptops running windows 7 professional 64 bit. So far re-imaging is the solution. wish there was an easy fix for this.

Thank Post
    Same had this problem with only 3 out of 33 pc's deployed this year, I'm getting promising results from setting windows not to turn off the network adapter and to force 100FDx on the switch and the network adapter.

The biggest problem I have is I cant replicate the problem so I can’t know for sure if this works.

Thank Post
    The following can cause problems with mapped drives or redirected folders, not sure if it applies here but worth a check:

How to re-initialize the offline files cache and database

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread