+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Taskbar icons gone in Technical; I am sure someone has come across this but I can't seem to find anything useful or a reason why ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Taskbar icons gone

I am sure someone has come across this but I can't seem to find anything useful or a reason why it is happening.

I've just deployed Windows 7 to a 2008 R2 domain and it was all working fine until I got around to folder redirection. I am thinking it is related to the Start Menu as I am sure it was working fine until I merged the "All users" menu with a few extra icons from a redirected one. The redirection is working fine, no problem there. The issues is that now my taskbar seems to have lost the pinning of IE and Explorer. I can re-pin but I really need users to be able to see them without extra pinning. Media Player has stayed weirdly enough.

Local users where there is no GP's being applied are working fine. I can always look into adding the taskbar pins via the registry (there is a useful guide out there) but I would really like to know why it is happening first.

Anyone seen this and know why?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    It's funny, as I came across the same problem too and there is no GPO to specify 'pinned' icons on the Taskbar. It seems Microsoft has missed this one!

You cannot pin 'Computer' to the desktop via GPO either it seems.

Thank Post
    There are various ways of pinning items via scripts or registry entries but you are right, something so simple has been forgotten.

Another Edugeek post for pinning:
    How to pin Application Shortcuts to the start menu?

and also via Registry:
    Forum FAQ: How to deploy Windows 7 Taskbar Pinned Icons by Group Policy?

Thank Post
    i have just come back to setting my new windows 7 pcs out and for some reason all the taskbar quicklanuch items have dissapeared and the start menu quick lauch items have gone also the files are in the profile but they will not display.

something weired has gone on since last week as everything was working perfectly.

anyone have a solution

mandatory profiles in use here is it a windows update that has messed things up

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    In my testing I was using Windows 7 Pro SP1 + all updates and as you say, despite the shortcuts being in the user profile, the pinned icons do not display.

In the end I gave up with it, but I can only presume it's a bug. I really do hope Microsoft revise some of their Windows 7 GPOs as there are some useful settings missing.

Thank Post
    but mine has been fine for the time i have been working on this until today i need to find a way to have the shortcuts on the start menu pretty quick as the kids are back next week.

i had something else weird go on today
    even logged in as domain admin it appears the pupils restrictions are still being applied Hence no access to c:

i am going to strip out all the gpo's and see whats going on.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    I had the same problem so decided to get rid of the task bar items alltogether. I'd also tried to do something in the default profile but failed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    but mine has been fine for the time i have been working on this until today i need to find a way to have the shortcuts on the start menu pretty quick as the kids are back next week.

i had something else weird go on today
    even logged in as domain admin it appears the pupils restrictions are still being applied Hence no access to c:

i am going to strip out all the gpo's and see whats going on.

Did you suddenly redirect the start menu recently? That's what it seems to be for me. Are you saying that the start menu is empty now with nothing in it?

As for the no access to C: drive, my guess is that it's a GPO being applied to the wrong OU or group and applying settings to all users below it.

According to the second link I posted earlier, the Taskbar icons should be both in the user profile and the registry. I couldn't get the thing to work properly, getting the icons but them being completely white instead. If the registry isn't right then they wont show.

I am guessing the general consensus here is that Taskbar redirection is a pain to do. Great

Thank Post
    test out gpos tomorrow then great

Thank Post
    for some weird reason application data was being redirected Weird as this did not show in testing things are now working ok still have to look at why domain admins are getting restrictions applied.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread