+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Networking Windows 7 Home in Technical; My House mate asked me last night if I could help him network his new laptop to his PC, basically ...
    Thank Post

Networking Windows 7 Home

My House mate asked me last night if I could help him network his new laptop to his PC, basically he wants to be able to access the hard drive of the PC from the Laptop.

This hard drive is his Media drive named 'd' he is using windows 7 Home on both machines, added them both to the same home group can see his laptop from PC and PC from Laptop, the only problem I've got is I can't access anything.

So went into Network, Can see PC and laptop on both, Click on the PC and can see the drives I want to access click on them and says I do not have permission to access them, So i thought add the laptop user to the permissions of the share and the hard drive, no luck as I can't add the laptop at all.

Then thought I would try adding it as a network drive again do no have permission.

How do I get this to work on windows 7 home, totally stuck I only ever use professional.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Have you tried setting the sharing and security premissions to Everyone?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 998 Posts
    Adjusting the SMB Signing settings as per

http://www.tannerwilliamson.com/2009...fix-samba-smb/

Not sure if you have the local security policy settings as per the above link although there is a section for win 7 home as per :

Windows 7 Home Premium users, READ THIS:Windows 7 Home premium users do not have the ability to follow the above instructions, and will instead have to do these instructions contributed by commenter “James”.
    FOR HOME EDITION
    1 . Open registry editor ( Start search – regedit)
    2 . Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
    3. Create a new DWORD value with the following properties:
    NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel
    VALUE: 1
    4. Restart your PC and try the connection again…

If you are still having trouble after doing this, double check that the machine you are connecting to has it’s Samba file sharing configured properly as well, that your network connection on both computers is solid and configured properly, and that if you are running any firewalls on either machine, that you have set them up properly to allow for Windows Samba File Sharing on the network. I was able to access my SMB share on my Linux file server after modifying these settings on Windows 7.
    Note to Linux Users: The new NTLMv2 protocol in Windows Seven has been known to cause the Samba server process on a Linux operating system to hang and or crash when receiving attempted communication from a NTLMv2 enabled client. You may need to restart the samba service on your Linux server if you have previously attempted to connect from a NTLMv2 Client (such as Windows Seven).
    If the changing the value to 1 after a reboot does not work I believe you can set this to 0 ( zero ) or 2 as in the actual numbers ( one or the other ) obviously trying one at a time and rebooting after each change

Other things are

1. Any AV as some newer AV apps include a firewall so either disabling the firewall or at least allowing relevant ports for SMB type traffic and possibly netbios over tcp/ip
    2. Disable windows firewall profiles so the windows firewall is disabled altogether
    3. Obviously ensuring permissions on the directory and on the share ( everyone group ) has full control ( read & write )

See how you get on with that - I would try and set both win 7 home machines registry settings to 1 as per the above quote and re test assuming everything else is in place

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,083 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    Click on the PC and can see the drives I want to access click on them and says I do not have permission to access them, so I thought add the laptop user to the permissions of the share and the hard drive, no luck as I can't add the laptop at all.
    Was this the error message you received... ?

If so, you could try disabling "UAC remote restrictions" using the registry setting below. More info here and in KB951916.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy"=dword:00000001

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (21st August 2011)

Thank Post
    You have to make sure that both PCs have a user account with a password. As they are technically not part of a central group they have to authenticate with one of their own users to get the standard Windows sharing working.

Also make sure that there are no firewall restrictions stopping the connections, in particular Symantec Norton 360 was a pain for leaving behind the firewall component during an uninstall meaning that pretty much all incoming ports were stuck to being blocked. Its worth just running the norton removal tool if any norton tool was ever installed anyway.

Also make sure that File and Printer sharing is enabled

Thank Post
    Btw I have enabled sharing between all my home W7 boxes and havent had to edit the registry once

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread