+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, New Build Woes! in Technical; I just received my replacement Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 boards and having major problems getting things going. I purchased 2 ...
    Thank Post

New Build Woes!

I just received my replacement Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 boards and having major problems getting things going. I purchased 2 identical builds and 1 set up worked completely fine. The second however, is giving me no end of issues.

Booted it up and the machine just kept on BSOD-ing with the current Windows 7 build, so I then tried taking 1 of the RAM sticks out (GeIL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz VALUE PLUS Dual Channel) and trying it with 4Gb. Same issue, tried the other stick, same issue. Put both sticks back in and it just wouldn't POST at all. Took the RAM out of the identical working machine and the machine boot up but again BSOD on Windows boot. Put the both the other RAM sticks in and annoyingly, it booted up! (Again BSOD on Windows 7 boot though).

So, downloaded Memtest and ran with no errors found. Reinstalled Windows booted up fine. Then when it came to reinstalling the drivers it BSOD on the install of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software with error iaStor.sys. After reboot, it didn't boot into Windows at all complaining that iaStor.sys was missing or corrupt. I tried another format and install and installed all the drivers again except for the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software, this worked fine and then I ran Windows Updates. The only driver it installed was the Marvell Storage driver with no issues. However, when I reboot the PC, it went in to an Infinite Reboot Loop of going in to the Startup Repair console, reporting it can't fix the issues and then shutting down. I had a search round Google and went in to the advanced options. I noticed by running BootSect.exe that there was no install of Windows on the C: drive, yet there was an install on the D: drive. However, no D: drive exists on the PC. There is only one drive with no additional partitions. So, I tried fixing the MBR, but still had no luck.

Any ideas what could be the problem here? Faulty Hard Drive? Or faulty motherboard? Also, why would the motherboard not POST with the 2 RAM sticks, yet when I tried the sticks out of the working PC and then put the other 2 back, it worked? Baffling!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did you upgrade the BIOS to the latest revision as that can sometimes solve strange issues with memory.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Zoom7000 (15th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Have you overclocked your i7-2600K? If so, have you tried it at stock speeds and voltages?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Faulty hard drive?
    Not sure, but there is a firmware update for your Samsung F3 HDD which fixes a compatibility issue with P67 and H67 motherboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    I noticed by running BootSect.exe that there was no install of Windows on the C: drive, yet there was an install on the D: drive. However, no D: drive exists on the PC.
    Are you booting from the Windows 7 DVD in UEFI mode?

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

Zoom7000 (15th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Have you overclocked your i7-2600K? If so, have you tried it at stock speeds and voltages?
    Everything is running at stock at the moment.

Not sure, but there is a firmware update for your Samsung F3 HDD which fixes a compatibility issue with P67 and H67 motherboards.
    lol! Well remembered and thanks for the tip!

Are you booting from the Windows 7 DVD in UEFI mode?
    No, not booting from the DVD. It's going in to the Startup Recovery mode on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK
    Did you upgrade the BIOS to the latest revision as that can sometimes solve strange issues with memory.
    Will try this too if all else fails - Always been a bit edgy upgrading BIOS firmware!

Thank Post
    That RAM needs 1.6v to run at 1600/C9, which is not usually default on motherboards and valueram sometimes doesn't contain this info in SPD (or you need to enable 'XMP' or something in bios).

Thank Post
    I think you're wrong there mate. The RAM is fully compatible with SandyBridge CPUs and they require the RAM voltage to be set at 1.5V. I read on OcUK forums that setting the voltage to 1.6 has been killing SandyBridge CPUs.

Thank Post
    PC3-12800 1600MHz C8 & C9 VALUE PLUS DUAL CHANNEL - Products - GeIL Memory

RAM voltage shouldn't effect CPU, 1.6v vcore would definitely melt a modern cpu

Thank Post
    The official DDR3 voltage spec is 1.5v, but 1.65v is the absolute max you do not want to go over for Intel's latest processors.

If 1.6v/1.65v RAM wasn't compatible with Sandybridge CPUs; Corsair, Kingston, GeIL and others wouldn't sell it.
    Last edited by Arthur; 17th August 2011 at 12:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Right, just installed Windows 7 on a new (borrowed hard drive) and when installing the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software, it came up with the same BSOD. So, not the HD at fault. Faulty motherboard? Or faulty CPU?

Thank Post
    Have you tried it without the RST drivers? I don't bother with them myself as the standard 'msahci' driver included with Windows 7 is perfectly fine (even with SSDs).

Did you end up updating your BIOS?

Thank Post
    Yeah, the last time I did the install, I installed all the drivers barring the IRST drivers and when I did the full Windows Update (checked that it didn't install any drivers during the update) it went in to recovery reboot loop and wouldn't go in to Windows at all.

BIOS update is the next step! Will try that this evening.

Thank Post
    Have you checked the SATA mode in the BIOS?

We've been getting BSODs after installing XP on to 7 machines as the SATA mode needed to be "Compatibility", maybe it's the other way around for yourself?

15. Thanks to ben604 from:

Zoom7000 (17th August 2011)

Thank Post
    The SATA mode has been set to AHCI. I think that was the default and seeing as my own identical machine is working fine, I presume this isn't the problem, however, I will double check! Thanks for the tip.

Thank Post
    If your other identical setup is fine then this is almost certainly a faulty motherboard. Get the company who sold it to you to replace it (dont let them make you rma it, its their responsibility not yours -- see regulations on statutory rights).

This happened to me recently, bought 3 new gigabyte x58a-ud-3r boards, 1st one out the box was blue screening like crazy, spent hours trying to fix it before i tried the other 2 boards which worked fine, got a replacement and no issues at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You'll want to try the BIOS update first before trying to send them back as they will likely ask that first and this is exactly the kind of nonsence that BIOS updates usually fix.

Upgrading BIOSs is much nicer now and mos can be done from in Windows or in your case off a USB key from inside the BIOS. I am pretty sure I have worked on those boards, well the Pro version rather than the delux and I think they may have EFI which makes it even easier and more robust. I have used the B3 version fine with both the integrated and the intel drivers under Windows 7x64 without issue.

Have you made sure the BIOS is set to BIOS mode rather than EFI (I think there is a setting like that floating around in there somewhere)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast