+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, The user profiel service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded in Technical; The message "The user profiel service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded" for almost all users, I ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The user profiel service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded

The message "The user profiel service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded" for almost all users, I have a couple of accounts it appears to work on including my technician account a student account and a teacher account. We are using roaming profiles in a mainly XP enviroment and server 2003. Profiles must work between the two OS's as staff will be using both daily. All folders have been directed using RSAT on the 7 client and I have read around for this problem but almost all search results were related to the deleting of c:\users... and having to tidy the registry.

The event viewer shows 3 events:
    Warning- The winlogon notificaation subscriber <Profiles> failed a critical notification event.

Error-Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.
    Details- Access is denied.

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded.

So obiously for some reason it cannot find the roaming profile on the server, gives up looking and attempts to load a none existant local profile. What is puzzling me is why can't it find this profile? I can log on with my staff group logon fine, setup in the exact same way as all staff accounts with its profile and homepath in the exact same shared location and the same mapped drives setup in RSAT.

This is really bugging me now coming up to the end of term I was planning to build a 7 image and deploy it to our new workstations during the holidays but its not looking good!
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 19th July 2011 at 02:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Have a look at this article This should only affect Vista or 7 and not XP.

This problem appears to be related to corrupt profiles. It may be worth doing some disk checks on the server if you're using roaming profiles.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Have a look at this article This should only affect Vista or 7 and not XP.

This problem appears to be related to corrupt profiles. It may be worth doing some disk checks on the server if you're using roaming profiles.
    Even when I create new accounts I have the same problem, ill give this a try tho thanks!

Thank Post
    I've seen the same problem myself. Make sure that your users have the appropriate permissions to create profiles in whatever network share you've set up for them. I hadn't set that up properly when I first set up roaming profiles here and ran into the same error message you're getting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyPitch View Post
    I've seen the same problem myself. Make sure that your users have the appropriate permissions to create profiles in whatever network share you've set up for them. I hadn't set that up properly when I first set up roaming profiles here and ran into the same error message you're getting.
    Both the share permissions and folder permissions are full for users required, the staffs profile and homepath areas both allow all staff group members full control, the same goes for students. System and domain administrators also have full control on all these folders.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    You could also try unsharing the profiles$ share then re-share it and see if this helps.

Thank Post
    The User Profile service Failed - NEW Users
    Read the 2nd post, he fixed his problem by removing the $ from the share name.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Both the share permissions and folder permissions are full for users required, the staffs profile and homepath areas both allow all staff group members full control, the same goes for students. System and domain administrators also have full control on all these folders.
    Don't know if it'll make a difference, but I've also got 'Creator Owner' with full permissions on the folder the profiles are stored in. You could add that and see if it makes a difference.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The permissions are probably OK.

See if this works:

Windows 7 user profile failed error...... again!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You could also try unsharing the profiles$ share then re-share it and see if this helps.
    No luck

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan100 View Post
    The User Profile service Failed - NEW Users
    Read the 2nd post, he fixed his problem by removing the $ from the share name.
    The $ is used to hide a share and shouldn't make any difference, the working accounts are also using a share$

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyPitch View Post
    Don't know if it'll make a difference, but I've also got 'Creator Owner' with full permissions on the folder the profiles are stored in. You could add that and see if it makes a difference.
    Just trying this *waits while it applys to all student folders*

Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    The permissions are probably OK.

See if this works:

Windows 7 user profile failed error...... again!
    I'll give it a go thanks!

Thank Post
    I assume you are using a completely different profile for XP and Win7? and that the profile ends in .V2? this is an inbuilt requirement of windows 7

We call our profiles UsernameW7.V2 then then add an environment variable via group policies preferences with a name of osver and the value W7.

Within AD we point the users to ProfileShareLocation\Username%osver% the variable that is then applied to Windows 7 will then work out which profile it needs to load.

Also clear down any local profiles the affected users might have, also look at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profilelist expand this key and check none of the SID's below match an affected user....delete if necessary

12. Thanks to Firefox from:

bondbill2k2 (21st July 2011)

Thank Post
    I've had this happen several times in the past; sometimes it was remedied by using a different W7 machine to log on which then created the profile fine.

Other times I fixed it by pointing the user's Profile Path in AD to a folder called "[username]" and logging on to an XP machine, letting that populate the "[username]" folder, then logging on a W7 machine letting it create it's own "[username].V2" folder while pulling in info from the XP profile folder.

Other times I have had to delete the user from AD completely and create a new user and profile from scratch.

It's an annoying issue to be sure! [¬_¬]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok it looks like the the profiles and their paths are causing the issue I just tryed changing the test account profile to \server\profiles$\technicians.v2 in AD and logged on fine.
    What is this %osver% your speak of oh wise one

Thank Post
    Within your AD path you put username%osver%

You then create profiles for each OS with the OS version in the profile name e.g usernameXP usernameW7.v2

Then on your XP machines you create an environment variable with the name osver and value XP
    for Windows 7 machines do the same but the variable is W7 - these can be both set via GPO

Then when you logon, AD will put th ecorrect profile depending on your OS

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our profiles are set in a profile share then in folders for groups, 1 profile per group e.g. \students \staff \tech \admin.
    Having managed to get some of each group to log in on a windows 7 machine now and the logon populating a .v2 folder for each some users from all groups are now able to logon but not others!
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 21st July 2011 at 03:34 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast