+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Missing Windows 7 GPO settings in Technical; Hello, Ok I have a domain that is fully Windows 2008 R2 and another that is currently in mixed mode ...

Thank Post

Missing Windows 7 GPO settings

Hello,

Ok I have a domain that is fully Windows 2008 R2 and another that is currently in mixed mode with a 2008 R2/2003 mix

When logging onto group policy from the full 2008 domain I appear to have extra settings -
    Windows 2008 R2 - User Configuration>>>>Administrative Templates>>>>Start Menu and Taskbar = 76 settings
    Mixed Domain - User Configuration>>>>Administrative Templates>>>>Start Menu and Taskbar = 63 settings

Initially I thought this was due to the policy templates having not been updated in the mixed domain. But I have now copied over both the PolicyDefinitions and Policy updates folder and the same result.

My mixed Domain has both Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 machines, and we were lead to believe this was the minimum requirement for managing Windows 7 devices via GPO.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    HI

Have a look at How to create a Central Store for Group Policy Administrative Templates in Window Vista

Windows 2003 is the minimum can the domain controller will pull the templates from its local machine store if you dont have a policy central store. Follow the instructions on the link. Then when you control make ammendments make then on a windows 2008 machine or windows 7. Windows xp will not know what all the settings are for as it does not understand the admx under group policy management. The windows xp machines will works correctly with the admx as long as the client side extension is installed. WSUS can pushed it out here automatically as its an update.

Richard

Thank Post
    I already have a central store though :-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread