+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Won't Accept My Password in Technical; Hey guys, I recently moved and setup my PC last night and when I got to the log-in screen and ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Won't Accept My Password

Hey guys,

I recently moved and setup my PC last night and when I got to the log-in screen and typed in my password, Windows declined it and I have made several attempts to no avail. I even tried the on screen keyboard to insure that it wasn't my keyboard. I also am running a USB keyboard, therefore I cannot boot in safe-mode using F8. I understand it was poor planning on my part by not making a password recovery disk, but I still need to get on my desktop. I have also attached a USB to PS/2 adapter to my keyboard to no avail. Windows still does not recognize the keyboard or mouse until the log-in screen. I tried the adapter on both devices and got the same result. Is there any software or anything that I can use to bypass this error. I know my password is correct, but Windows just won't accept it for some reason. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Check your bios for settings about "legacy support for usb" as that can enable the usb keyboard before windows.
    Getting around windows to reset your password is not easy tbh, it is possible but you will need another pc/hard drive to really do it. There are linux boot CD's that can get the password as well but I dont know what they are called. If you google around you should find ones.

3. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Chico (11th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ERD Commander is a bootable CD that will allow you to do the change, but its difficult to get now. Otherwise you would need to do as ZeroHour said and get another PC to do it.

5. Thanks to nephilim from:

Chico (11th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    ERD Commander is a bootable CD that will allow you to do the change, but it's difficult to get now.
    Not only that, but for Windows 7 you would need Microsoft's Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset v6.5. Older versions will not work.

Your best bet would be KonBoot. Burn the ISO to a blank disc, boot your computer from it, type in literally any password you want and then once you are logged in, change the password to something else.

There are also a few more suggestions in this thread.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

Chico (11th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks a ton guys for the quick responses, I will give your ideas a go and check back in and let you know how it plays out. I appreciate all the help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    ERD Commander is a bootable CD that will allow you to do the change, but its difficult to get now. Otherwise you would need to do as ZeroHour said and get another PC to do it.
    Dont think ERD will work with Windows 7. I now use WinDart

10. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Chico (11th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Best Buy sells software to get around the Windows PW. Check with the geek squad.

12. Thanks to Fyrstar from:

Chico (11th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Hey guys,

I ended up getting a System Restore Error and couldn't get past it due to my lack of keyboard and mouse, so I went and downloaded Ubuntu and burned it to a CD on my wife's laptop. I then popped the disk in the drive and let it boot my PC to insure all my hardware was good. Having done that, I restarted my PC with Ubuntu in the drive again and pressed Delete continuously until my BIOS menu popped up ( Ubuntu loads all it's own drivers, this made using my keyboard and mouse possible upon initial boot, this was extremely vital). I went into my peripherals and enabled my USB keyboard and Mouse as ZeroHour stated so I never run into the lack-of USB peripherals again. I then went and changed my password, saved and rebooted. All problems have been solved and I have my PC back. I want to again thank everyone for all your advice and ideas. I learned quite a bit today from you guys and I greatly appreciate it. I hope that my experience may also help others. Until next time....Peace
    Last edited by Chico; 11th July 2011 at 08:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Hey guys,

I ended up getting a System Restore Error and couldn't get past it due to my lack of keyboard and mouse, so I went and downloaded Ubuntu and burned it to a CD on my wife's laptop. I then popped the disk in the drive and let it boot my PC to insure all my hardware was good. Having done that, I restarted my PC with Ubuntu in the drive again and pressed Delete continuously until my BIOS menu popped up ( Ubuntu loads all it's own drivers, this made using my keyboard and mouse possible upon initial boot, this was extremely vital). I went into my peripherals and enabled my USB keyboard and Mouse as ZeroHour stated so I never run into the lack-of USB peripherals again. I then went and changed my password, saved and rebooted. All problems have been solved and I have my PC back. I want to again thank everyone for all your advice and ideas. I learned quite a bit today from you guys and I greatly appreciate it. I hope that my experience may also help others. Until next time....Peace
    Glad you got it sorted. If you need anymore help you know where to find us

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread