+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Very long 10min+ load logon times in Technical; From boot to logon screen there is no issue its pretty quick but when a user logs into the windows ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Very long 10min+ load logon times

From boot to logon screen there is no issue its pretty quick but when a user logs into the windows 7 machine im currently testing there is a huge load time. The event viewer does show up some issues but im not sure what they really point to!

Event viewer for a user logon:
    "The Winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 444seconds to handle the notification event (Logon)"

"Windows License validated"

The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavaliable to handle a notification event"

"The Winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking a long time to handle notification event (StartShell)"

"The Winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 599seconds to handle the notification event (StartShell)"
    Having read simular topics I have set the DNS rather then leaving it automatic and disabled the logon scripts for my test user but still no luck.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is GP mapping any printers using preference/deployed printers at all?
    Are they HP?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I too was experiencing slow Windows 7 domain login times on a new Lenovo laptop, but my solution was different. At times it was taking up to 10 minutes to log in and all other solutions had no effect on reducing it.

As it turns out, the laptop has an internal broadband wireless NIC. I had not activated nor configured this NIC, it doesn't even have a SIM card in it, but by default it was first in the bindings order, so Windows was attempting to make a broadband connection and taking a very long time to time out before connecting through the standard wired/wireless NICs.

I disabled the broadband NIC and my login times have reduced to 95 seconds - still not great, but much better than the previous average of 360 seconds. Is there anything like this on your machine?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also perhaps reset your domain password (Either from Machine or AD) and reboot. I have a feeling that the local cached credentials get "out of sync" and takes longer than usual to log on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Is GP mapping any printers using preference/deployed printers at all?
    Are they HP?
    All our printers are distributed using a logon script which I have removed for this test user rather then GP distribution ,something I was planning on changing this week but if its going to cause more agro I might leave it. Related to NIC issues I have just disabled IPv6 as some people say that causes an issue to load times.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 5th July 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quick question...have you got solid backgrounds on??

On all of our test beds the effects were more than annoying:

Logon time (With JPG wallpaper selected) Logon time (with solid color wallpaper selected)
    Client A (Laptop with 2 GHz Core 2 Duo) 6 seconds to desktop 36 seconds to desktop
    Client B (Desktopth 3 GHz Core 2 Quad) 5 seconds to desktop 33 seconds to desktop
    Client C (Desktop with 2.4 GHz Core i7) 2 seconds to desktop 31 seconds to desktop

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    All our printers are distributed using a logon script which I have removed for this test user rather then GP distribution ,something I was planning on changing this week but if its going to cause more agro I might leave it
    Ahh I wouldnt use GP deployed, instead use GPP based printers, there is an HP driver issue that can cause slow logons due to HP's universal driver been bad (not checked lately though) that was all and it can make logons REALLY slow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Also perhaps reset your domain password (Either from Machine or AD) and reboot. I have a feeling that the local cached credentials get "out of sync" and takes longer than usual to log on.
    Cached credentials should be disabled unless using a laptop to roam btw, they should never be used if you can help it and can create security risks unless you are using encrypted drives.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The account im testing is just using a standard background as I havnt set anything in GP for it yet. I have removed the run login scripts syncrosley and it appears to of speeded login a little, around 2-3mins now......still poor

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    The account im testing is just using a standard background as I havnt set anything in GP for it yet. I have removed the run login scripts syncrosley and it appears to of speeded login a little, around 2-3mins now......still poor
    Is this an SP1 machine?
    Also take a wee look at: Windows 7 Gotchas/Tips/FYI and see if anything twigs. There is a note about the background issue there but I think its fix is in sp1.

Thank Post
    I have a strange problem where I have a user with offline files My Documents redirected (13gb) and its taking ages to login, however if I disable offline files then is almost instant. I think it’s the initial check it does for any changes that taking the long time and the simple fact the user has almost 20k+ of files to check!
    Is there a way of disabling this initial check and only synchronizing on a schedule?

Any help much appreciated!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having started again with a new fresh 7 install & all updates not the pre-installed image from Stone I used before I no longer have these long login times, but only a few profiles seem to be loading all others say: "the user profile services service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded"

The event log shows "windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights. "

"Windows cannot log you on because your pfoeil cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network and that your network if functioning correctly,
    Details - Unspecified error"
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 15th July 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    This is a know issue (although MS doesn't seem interested in a fix) you will see the problem if you use Offline files on a folder that you also redirect. We had a number of users with the issue as we redirect My Documents and user were making this offline as its their main user home folder. There is no fix, the only workaround is not make a redirected folder avaliable off line (

Thank Post
    KB2525332 this hotfix solved are problems, logon time are now seconds!!

15. Thanks to RobFuller from:

SYNACK (14th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobFuller View Post
    KB2525332 this hotfix solved are problems, logon time are now seconds!!
    cooorrrrrrrrr our users will be pleased I've been waiting for a fix for this issue for ages! I'll download it and give it a whirl. Thanks for the heads up!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread