+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Folder redirection - no way around this? in Technical; I've got some W7 machines on the network now - with folder redirection generally set for everything to go to ...
    Thank Post

Folder redirection - no way around this?

I've got some W7 machines on the network now - with folder redirection generally set for everything to go to their home directory (\\server\\share)

Works fine on XP and the desktop/start menu is working on the W7 machines but I still have the 'library' folder icon on the desktop. This has links for Documents etc all pointing to the local profile along with a connection to the users mapped share. So redirection isn't working and the link to the network share doesn't work either - double clicking it doesn't do anything at all, the others all open up the local profile which I don't want as files should be saved to the users home folder.

I've tried removing the library feature (deleting the registry keys) but it still appears - and this is going to cause confusion with users.

So why isn't the redirection working? And how do I get rid of the library icon from the desktop? It seems like W7 and folder redirection is a total mess compared to XP

Thank Post
    I'm having a similar problem, but my libs dont point to the redirected drives. the drives however are mapping even if they dont look like they are, use the desktop folder to test.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post

So why isn't the redirection working? And how do I get rid of the library icon from the desktop? It seems like W7 and folder redirection is a total mess compared to XP
    I can't stand the Libraries feature, can't understand why MS didn't have an option to disable it completely for network installs

Thank Post
    It seems like mapped drives are working, and the redirected startmenu and desktop are ok. The library folder icons all point to the users LOCAL profile but there is also a shortcut in there pointing to their network home folder (i.e \\server\share) - double clicking this does nothing!

I can't get my head around the point of libraries when folder redirection is being used. And when I redirect 'Documents' using group policy it is obviously not doing it. Arrgh!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can disable the library icon set using an AD policy. I do it, but from memory I can't remember if it's a registry hack or a proper policy. I can look later if you like.

Thank Post
    Theres a nice Reg Hack to disable the library Feature

How to Enable or Disable the Libraries Feature in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

But also in GP under redirected folders section you need to set

Grant user exclusive rights to Documents - Disabled
    Move the contents of Documents to the new location - Disabled
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000, Windows 2000 server, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 operating systems - Enabled

This should then work fine

Thank Post
    Thats the odd thing - I used that registry hack and it still appears on the desktop! The other settings are correct as well - Favourites are redirecting, but not Documents!

Thank Post
    Under documents redirection is it set to \\Server\Share and or \\server\share\%username% etc or is it set to %HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%, this last one uses variables to pull the folder from where the homedrive is set in AD rather than pointing to the file directly.

Could be soemthing to tinker around with

PS, (touch wood) Documents are redirected fine here using the former method, and on the few PC's I havent disabled libraries on the Documents library shows the Homedrive

Thank Post
    The redirection for documents is set to %homeshare%\MyFiles - odd thing is 'My Documents' also appears in the library and that is redirected correctly!

Thank Post
    I think I may of misunderstood the post slightly, having reread top down, is this the situation (correct me if not)

1) All folders a being redirected, users can get to network files (Documents, Favourites, Desktop, Start Menu etc)
    2) When clicking Documents under libraries (Does this link to network dowcuments?)
    3) There is a Folder on the desktop named as the loged in user (if so GPO disable user folder link on desktop this maybe of help)
    It can be done manually (and copied to the default user etc) Desktop Properties > Change Desktop Icons > Untick "Users Files"
    Last edited by smithson83; 4th July 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bit of a long shot, but maybe your local profile details have gone west.

Try deleting the roaming profiles in this key, then trying again. Fire up regedit, then expand this key.
    HKLM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Delete the subkeys that have a 'CentralProfile' value set. Reboot and try again.
    If it works, I have a script which I use on our AD at a machine startup which clears out server-based profiles from this branch.

12. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

Sheridan (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    1) Yes
    2) No - this opens the local path
    3) Yes - this is the library I believe? It seems to have both XP style shortcuts (My Documents, My Pictures etc) which are redirected to the network, and the newer Documents, Pictures etc which are all pointing to the local profile

All I want to do is redirect the documents to their share, or remove this folder. The registry hack from How To Geek seemed to have no effect.

Thank Post
    The folder on the desktop is the root of the users profile on the local computer, the libraries are something different. Libraries show up on the left of the explorer window. This can be removed with the how-to-geek link to diable libraries, to remove the eg "Bob Franklin" folder from the desktop, you can either do it manually by right clicking the Desktop > Properties > Change Desktop Icons > Untick "Users Files". or possibley by GP using this found here on edugeek User folder icon on desktop

Hope this helps

15. Thanks to smithson83 from:

Sheridan (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smithson83 View Post
    Move the contents of Documents to the new location - Disabled
    ive found if i dont set that to enabled i get 2 copies of favorites/videos etc

Thank Post
    Ahh I think I've being getting my libraries mixed up with the Users 'root' folder on the desktop. Libraries have indeed vanished from the explorer and thanks to that GPO setting above the folder has disappeared from the desktop as well! Brilliant!

Thanks for all the help sorting this!

Only issue I have now is the MyFiles folder is being renamed as My Documents on the W7 machines, and showing as Documents on the server side. What on earth is W7 doing with folder redirection!
    Last edited by Sheridan; 4th July 2011 at 03:57 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast