+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Could Microsoft set up a Windows 7 network? in Technical; With all these issues that we read about here on Edugeek with Windows 7, the quirks, the problems etc I ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Could Microsoft set up a Windows 7 network?

With all these issues that we read about here on Edugeek with Windows 7, the quirks, the problems etc I wonder if Microsoft themselves could setup a network with their own operating systems.

It really seems as if they haven't thought about the enterprise customer when providing the business versions of the software.

Maybe it's because everyone's network is different - but simple things seem impossible to do (based on posts here) because it really does seem that MS have not thought about it.

Gareth

Thank Post
    I think they re forcing people to go their new direction, quirks are more when you want to keep old ways, which I ve done

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    From what we were told on the Edugeek Windows 7 event just before it was launched, Microsoft's own internal domain is surprisingly un-restrictive. Most employees build their workstation themselves from a base WDS image and have full admin rights to their own machine.

I remember thinking at the time that explained a lot!

To be honest, I've had very few problems with setup or lockdown of our Windows 7 network. You do have to approach some things from a slightly different angle to XP, but we had a successful Vista deployment in my last school so I had plenty of practice in advance. I think a lot of people have had bad habits ingrained from having XP for so long, or just aren't used to thinking about how to achieve a particular goal because they always done it a particular way with XP.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 4th July 2011 at 10:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have a mixed network there are inherent issues, however if you have a full W7 network, it runs smooth as silk

5. Thanks to nephilim from:

TheScarfedOne (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,662 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They ran it internally from long before it was released but their setup is much different from the average school. There are issues as with any OS and the jump from Windows 9x and NT server to XP and 2000 had many wound up for a fair while when it was introduced also.

I also agree with AT, having had a Vista setup beforehand mad 7 a snap as all/most of the lessons had already been learned years beforehand.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 4th July 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect it's more to do with the fact that education has higher demands on the configuration of the operating system than the average corporate support department encounters, coupled with being in a more 'mixed OS' environment it makes each Microsoft OS release, with it's extra 'unique' features, and quirks that bit more difficult. Perhaps a thread listing all the things that need addressing in W7 and subsequent releases +links on the forums to fixes and solutions when they come about would be in order.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 4th July 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not a bad idea DB, however the thing would be that because most people are running a mixed environment some of the problems are unfixable (MSDNAA and Technet guru's have stated this before).

If it is a pure W7/2008R2 network then yeah the forum idea would be good because then any issues could be fixed on a quick turnaround

Thank Post
    I've not had many problems with it tbh. Just a few minor teething issues at the start but other than that it's ran fine. If anything I'd say our support calls relating to Windows issues have gone way down.
    Things like imaging are a billion times easier now as I can maintain one image for the entire site, rather than 4/5 for various hardware types. Took me a few days to get my head around WDS/MDT after using RIS for so long but it was worth it.

It just took takes a while to get out of the old XP mindset and it's ways of doing things. If you ignored Vista then a lot of the concepts will be slightly alien to you at first but bare with it :P
    Likewise with your networking setup (i.e GPOs/reg fixes blah blah) will be based around XP and would have been used for years. These will need dusting off and updating. Our XP policies out of the box totally broke Windows 7, murdered the Aero theme and made the start menu unusable. Didn't take too long to get those sorted.

Thank Post
    How about at the next Microsoft/Edugeek conference, Microsoft set up their idea of an educational network and we break it ;-)

Thank Post
    It's taken me a while to get around to thinking of the Vista/7 way of doing things, which has probably caused a few of the issues we've had (thankfully only minor niggles!). We still have a lot of XP machines so we'll be a mixed site for some time yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Not a bad idea DB, however the thing would be that because most people are running a mixed environment some of the problems are unfixable (MSDNAA and Technet guru's have stated this before).

If it is a pure W7/2008R2 network then yeah the forum idea would be good because then any issues could be fixed on a quick turnaround
    I wouldn't say unfixable, what we are good at here is workarounds. Yes, they may be ugly be more often than not we get around these problems on EduGeek. But Perhaps we could collectively get Microsoft on board with this, as some solutions involve workarounds that Microsoft either are not aware of or fall out of their remit such as using third party tools to get the job done and as such wouldn't appear in knowlebase articles.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 4th July 2011 at 12:37 PM.

13. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

nephilim (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If all you did was run Windows (and no apps) I dare say it would be reasonably straightforward.

So many patches and bodges are needed to get software to work, my head spins.

Software that needs to install a new version of MS Installer to install? Makes you scream. Admittedly doesn't affect W7 yet, but that time will come...
    Installers that come as EXEs not MSIs?
    MSIs that don't allow for GP deployment?
    Software that sprays files to arbitrary areas on the OS disk, assuming that the user has full privileges?
    And drive letters! What is this - 1987? Are we still on CP/M?

That wretched .V2 profile problem... see other posts for details.....

I'm on Grouch-level 3 this morning.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 4th July 2011 at 12:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you run MS only software (Windows, Office etc) then that's fine, it wont break.

Problem comes in when you add in 3rd party applications which is what cause most of the breakdowns.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking on the bright side, if the whole MS ecosystem wasn't such a headache, it would be simpler to support and a lot of us would be out of jobs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    If you run MS only software (Windows, Office etc) then that's fine, it wont break.

Problem comes in when you add in 3rd party applications which is what cause most of the breakdowns.
    ironic, it's because of the third partt applications that we use Windows - if we didn't have windows only apps then we'd run ubuntu !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast