+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, School buying new PCs, no OS, buying Windows 7 for 50 machines? in Technical; Hello! I've referred to these forums countless times for help and I've always found something of use. I need some ...
    Xer

Thank Post

Question School buying new PCs, no OS, buying Windows 7 for 50 machines?

Hello!
    I've referred to these forums countless times for help and I've always found something of use. I need some advice now that is specific to my school.
    We have an aging setup of 50 machines used by admin staff and teachers in classrooms. It's time to replace these old machines but the new machines I've shortlisted have no OS installed. Since the new machines are more powerful we want Windows 7 to go along with them.
    Can anyone recommend where I can find licenses / install media / everything I need to get Win 7 on 50 machines in a cost effective way? I'm not sure if this is done with a volume license or individual copies. I haven't had much experience with buying bulk software.
    Obviously our old machines are Win XP and the licenses from them are tied to the hardware, so they're of no use.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to point out, if you are on an educational volume licensing agreement (e.g. EES, Select), the licences you get are upgrade licences, and you do need an OEM license still on the machine. Standard practice is to get the cheapest OEM licence you can (currently Vista Basic) and then upgrade to Win7 or downgrade to XP Pro with your educational licence.

As to where you'll get those OEM licences, I don't know - any time I've bought they've come with anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even with volume licenses you need a base COA on the bo for a version of Windows. The cheapest at the moment is probably getting the manufacturer to add Vista Basic OEM to the machines then get a schools agreement for access to the latest versions of software for a 3 year period.

Your other options are requesting the manufacturer add W7 Pro OEM or if the vendor can't then you're looking at 50 retail copies.

Xer

Thank Post
    Hmm, thanks for the fast replies. I'm not sure now of the best route to take.
    If we buy machines with a version of windows installed, say Windows 7 Home Premium, can they be used in the school as-is?
    I don't know about educational licenses, since our machines are so old (2006) I don't think we're on any kind of agreement.
    The PCs I have in mind right now are from ebuyer and Misco, is that a bad idea? should we buy from someone who specializes in selling bulk PCs to education? and if so, who would you recommend?
    Thanks again.

Thank Post
    You can't join a domain with home premium, so unless you want 50 stand-alones, no... I tend to go for Dell - they do good deals if you request an educational quote direct.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They could be used with Win7 Home but you'd be better off with Pro, you should be able to source desktops with Win7 pro on by default.

However, at that number of PCs, you'd probably save a lot getting a proper quote from someone who can get you exactly what you need - Stone are good for education, we got a load from Novatech last year and they've been really good, talk to your favourite HP/Dell reseller... you'll get a bulk discount and an educational discount and be able to ask for exactly what you want with licensing, spec etc.

If you're not on any educational licence, are you putting in unique licence codes from the OEM sticker on each PC? What do you do if a student peels the sticker off?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    They could be used with Win7 Home
    You won't be able to join a domain with win 7 home either

Thank Post
    Out of interest, what machines are you looking at?

Xer

Thank Post
    Best looking No-OS machine i've found was this:

Acer Aspire M3900 Desktop - Desktops | Ebuyer.com

Thank Post
    This is cheaper Extra Value Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com good reviews as well

Thank Post
    I would give Dell a go. Big discounts for schools and come with 5 year warrenty. You LA should have a discount avenue setup with Dell so call them first.

Thank Post
    Remember that if you wish to connect these to a windows server you'll need 50 CALs as well.

I think M$ offer a licensing option for non-oem windows machines but i remeber it costing a hellava lot. It's cheaper to purchase the machines with windows and upgrade than purchasing them afterwards

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Remember that if you wish to connect these to a windows server you'll need 50 CALs as well.
    These should be transferable from his old computers.

EDIT: However I wouldn't just pick the cheapest machines off ebuyer.

Speak to a few HP, Dell, Lenovo resellers. Don't just look stuff up on a web page, speak to some account managers. And make sure you get an OEM windows license included (Windows 7 business) with each machine. It will cost you a bit, but there's no getting round it.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 4th July 2011 at 01:30 PM.

Xer

Thank Post
    Edit: Thanks K.C.Leblanc, answered my question before I even posted it I'm talking to Dell and Novatech now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread