+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Adding Windows 7 workstations to an XP enviroment and 2003 domain in Technical; Well ive been given the task of sorting out these windows 7 machines for our network and im "trying" to ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Adding Windows 7 workstations to an XP enviroment and 2003 domain

Well ive been given the task of sorting out these windows 7 machines for our network and im "trying" to get them working with staffs XP roaming profiles. I have downloaded the quite informative Vista Managing roaming user data deployment guide which is useful but it says to use the Group policy managment console on the vista client (GPMC.MSC) which doesn't exist on 7.

From reading around the net I believe im on the right lines having downloaded and installed RSAT but im not sure where to go from here, the server manager tool says it only suports 2008 R2.

Sorry if im overlooking the obvious here but its all a learning curve for me at the moment

Thank Post
    think you want gpedit.msc ;p

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmwalker06 View Post
    think you want gpedit.msc ;p
    Thats what I thought but you only get local computer policy with nothing on redirection

Thank Post
    To download RSAT for Windows 7, use these links:
    Note that you need to choose either a 64-bit or a 32-bit version NOT based upon the OS version of your servers, but based upon the OS version of your Windows 7 workstation(s).

64-bit version of RSAT for Windows 7 (222.1 MB):
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...MRSATX_MSU.msu

32-bit version of RSAT for Windows 7 (215.1 MB):
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...RMRSAT_MSU.msu

Please note that the above links are for the RTM versions, and not for the smaller sized RC versions!

id try downloading it again did you def download the right bit version??

Thank Post
    RSAT for Windows 7, install that on a Windows 7 client (specifically, not on the server - you'd buy a Windows Server 2008 R2 licence instead). Then build the policies from there. Ideally, upgrade your servers or add a 2008 R2 DC - you'll be doing yourself a massive favour, and it doesn't have to cost much to do (a 64bit server + S2k8R2 licence can be had for a few hundred pounds). Staff members profiles will have to change - many aspects are not interchangeable between XP and 7 but it's admittedly easier with roaming - they can do both at once.

Thank Post
    You need to use the GPMC on your 2003 server. Almost all of the settings applied by a 2003 server are used by Windows 7 Clients. You only use the GPMC on a Windows 7 Client if you need to specifiy specific Windows 7 settings, but as you've already found out, most of those policies also require a Windows 2008 server. Redirection should be configured on 2003 servers in a mixed domain anyway, because Windows 7 has additional options that can really confuse XP redirection.
    Last edited by riffleman; 30th June 2011 at 09:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    RSAT for Windows 7, install that on a Windows 7 client (specifically, not on the server - you'd buy a Windows Server 2008 R2 licence instead). Then build the policies from there. Ideally, upgrade your servers or add a 2008 R2 DC - you'll be doing yourself a massive favour, and it doesn't have to cost much to do (a 64bit server + S2k8R2 licence can be had for a few hundred pounds). Staff members profiles will have to change - many aspects are not interchangeable between XP and 7 but it's admittedly easier with roaming - they can do both at once.
    We plan to go 2008 R2 early next year although im trying to get this brought forward as it will save alot of hassle, im also tempted to downgrade the new stations to XP for the time being.I think I need to use client side GPMC on 7 to redirect rather then just the 2003 GPMC so I can try and have cross network compatability as users will be going between XP and 7 systems on the same profiles.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 30th June 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Thank Post

bio
    Thank Post
    personally i would upgrade the forest & domain first. then migrate your clients. You have many extra options when running a windows 2008 r2 domain in combination with windows 7 clients instead of winxp with 2003 domain.

bio..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Using GPM on the win7 client really shows some of the useful policys and new features of GP on 2008 and Its far better I can see already, going to try pull forward are schedule of 2008 curric and admin upgrades (we are currently on central active directorys with the LEA who wont support higher then 2003)
    Playing with the folder redirection now but ive had GPM on this client crash 3-4 times now! Very annoying.

Thank Post
    I had a similar issue when deploying Windows Visa onto a domain many years ago. The major change being that when using roaming profiles you don't just map the user my documents folder! you need to map all of the users home folders (Pictures, Videos, documents etc).

I have RSAT tools running on Windows 7 on a 2003 domain and I have also tested this on a 2000 domain without any issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyRVBC View Post
    I had a similar issue when deploying Windows Visa onto a domain many years ago. The major change being that when using roaming profiles you don't just map the user my documents folder! you need to map all of the users home folders (Pictures, Videos, documents etc).
    Just finished doing this for a test OU which ive made some users in, ill test them properly on monday, been busy day tracking down software lists from each department and starting new images on the XP machines

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well the folder redirection is working fine between xp and 7 but im having some issues with stupidly long load times.

Event viewer for a user logon:
    "The Winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 444seconds to handle the notification event (Logon)"

"Windows License validated"

The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavaliable to handle a notification event"

"The Winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking a long time to handle notification event (StartShell)"

"The Winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 599seconds to handle the notification event (StartShell)"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread